Is WGU worth it to employers?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been thinking about enrolling into WGU.

Are any of you guys WGU graduates that were able to land a good/decent job because of your degree? I can't help but wonder if I'll be taken serious if I have a degree from there.

Comments

• TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I can tell you that the certifications you get a long the way will likely mean more to employers. WGU is no MIT or Carnegie Mellon, but it shows that you had the wherewithal to complete your 4 year degree.
  • johnnyqt25johnnyqt25 Banned Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a regionally accredited school and many folks here that have the degree from this school have very high paying jobs.
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as your university is credited then it won't ever hurt you to have one. Once you factor in the cost to obtain it from WGU it has value add. Not having the degree is can hold you back in some instances. More importantly, drive and dedication to be great will outpace your degree. I know many people who attended Michigan State University. Some are Vice Presidents others are customer reps. The VP was not academically better at any stage in his education.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yep. Haven't had an issue with WGU - even before the CCIE. Funny thing is that the regional manager that was running things locally here at Cisco had his MS from WGU as well. He's actually over at DiData now running their whole Los Angeles operations. He's not technical - so no certs.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. There's a good chance I'll sign up.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At my current job one of the Sr architects was working his BS from WGU when I was interviewing. If anything it gave us something to talk about, otherwise it's a checkbox that gets marked off.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Whether an employer looks down on WGU or not will really depend on the employer. Or more specifically the person at the employer reading your resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.