How To Study

remolaremola Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm busy studying for the CEH exam and need advice. I've not studied for a Certification Exam at this level for more than 20 years and to put it bluntly I'm out of practice. I've seen a lot of posts on the forum here with people telling what to study but I need get some advice around HOW to study.

What is some of the things I need to do to make studying easier and have a better retention rate. I'm middle aged and am really out of practice.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards, Remola

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Studying differs for each person but here are my tips on how to study

1. Use different materials - Books, videos, take a class, youtube
    2. Take notes - I like to use a notebook, because it helps me retain the info better
    3. Listen to audio books, lectures, and recordings in the car or while out - Listening to the info will help you remember it... repitition is key
    4. Form a habit of studying - Do it at the same time each day until it becomes second nature to you... Humans are creatures of habit
    5. Choose a QUIET place to study... lock yourself in your basement if you have to

Those are my study tips...
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nobody here can really tell you how YOU learn. Some people can learn by reading, some can only learn by doing.

What I do: study during lunch, listen to videos (NOT watch) while driving to and from work, study at night before bed, study on weekends.

I read books, blogs, and forums. I use CBT Nuggets and ITProTV for videos and labs. Those services come with Transcender practice tests, so I use those.

I make study guides for things that take rote memorization, and I use mnemonics for terms, lists, and processes.

I mean, basic studying stuff.

For the CEH, if you don't have CompTIA Security+ knowledge yet you should definitely start there first.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Wondering if you bothered to search "how to study."

There are many websites and youtube channels dedicated to it. Here is a good blog with various study tips:

Study Hacks - Decoding Patterns of Success - Cal Newport
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Experienced_ISN'T_oldExperienced_ISN'T_old Banned Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Wondering if you bothered to search "how to study."

There are many websites and youtube channels dedicated to it. Here is a good blog with various study tips:

Study Hacks - Decoding Patterns of Success - Cal Newport

Watching that interview with Jim Clark makes you think what you and I could do if we also had the Physics roots Jim Clark did and were good at it. Guess that ended for me with senior physics, lol.