Most absurd question's when applying for a job

TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
So I've been applying for new jobs and I just came across a company that prompted this thread.

What are some of the weird/obscure questions you have had to answer when applying for a job?

Job in question:
Write an original 40-60 word poem about your current or most recent job into the text field below.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hahahaha I would probably spend way too much time on that question trying to make the poem funny and of course with any great poetry, make it rhyme.
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Oh.. I promptly hit the save and finish later button so I can focus on making it immensely hilarious. I will post the end result this evening when I have time to do it.
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL....I wish I had thought of that in a previous application.....

OP...you can always start (or end the poem) like...

Stupid questions made us mad
    the pay here was very bad
    we ate all the donuts to be had
    My managers name was Brad

I like to use Word and Excels
    even when it doesnt require any cells
    This job doesnt require me to sell
    Though I've suggested the competition more times than I will ever tell
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "What is your spirit animal?"
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have been asked how old I was and how long I planned on working. Or having to take a personality quiz online, I was then asked to come in person for what I thought to be an interview. However, after 30 minutes of going through said quiz, she told me that we were too much alike and that she couldn't work with me. I thought 'I took a shower for THIS?' I was cordial to her (though I felt like tearing her a new one..).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wish I got more odd questions like this. It'd make interviews at least a bit more light-hearted and fun instead of so tense.
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Recently I was asked .... " Why the hell would you want to leave Honolulu and move to Nebraska?" I let out a bit of a chuckle and let them know that I could not seem to find a NOC/SOC position on island so I need to move.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i just got a call yesterday about a cyber security engineer II position and the only question i was asked was 'what is the difference between a white hat and a black hat'. i thought it was a little odd to be asked that for a position that manages other security analysts?

i also interviewed for a job several years ago and they required me to take a Wonderlic test online prior to the interview. ok. done. i thought it was a breeze and thought i did pretty well. so they called me in for an interview and had me sit and take it again while they watched me. i started thinking maybe they thought i had cheated on it or something? after that i sat for the interview but wasn't hired anyway. and probably for the best. the IT manager told me at the interview that the company doesn't care about new technologies and we have to live with what we have...yada, yada, yada. basically telling me the company sucked to work for...lol
  • bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Is it possible to make four equilateral triangles with six match sticks?"
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    Recently I was asked .... " Why the hell would you want to leave Honolulu and move to Nebraska?" I let out a bit of a chuckle and let them know that I could not seem to find a NOC/SOC position on island so I need to move.

Another good answer would be, "You can't eat the scenery."
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    ... and the only question i was asked was 'what is the difference between a white hat and a black hat'.

I'll admit I didn't know myself, I don't agree with the definition I found, after all I can't believe my company would pay for me to go to a Blackhat security conference just to become a criminal. (or better criminal)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    While not a question during an application but a recent job interview. The advertised position was security, but 99% of the interview was spent with them asking me Windows administration questions...it was an hour long interview and I told them over and over that I haven't been a windows administrator before (not do I wish to be one!) and it's very clear from my CV but the guys kept going on and on - as if he were on autopilot....I left the place questioning their IQ
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate the scripted interviews with really vague questions, "when have you provided exceptional service to a client" ...what?
  • Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My interview was literally an all-day affair, and one of the last ones was the technical part where one has to think on their feet given whatever scenario. Not difficult by any stretch, the point was to see how the candidate approaches the problem. So the questions were surrounding browser probs on a laptop, and about 8 answers deep (and after catching my interviewer trying to change previously established parameters) my answer was "Who makes the laptop? If it says 'X' or 'Y' I'm throwing the f***er in the trash!"

Celebrating 2.5 years there next month lol
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Employers requiring you list 3 references as part of the application process, needlessly adding PII to their database if they choose not to hire you.

Expecting you to submit PII on unsecured web pages.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Employers requiring you list 3 references as part of the application process, needlessly adding PII to their database if they choose not to hire you.

Expecting you to submit PII on unsecured web pages.

What is PII ??
  • HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tmtex wrote: »
    What is PII ??
    Personally identifiable information (PII)

eg Social dl etc
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have many to list but I will list a few questions that were stupid...

1. What is your fav color and why? - Ummm what does my fav color have anything to do with this???
    2. How clean is your car and if its messy why is it like that? - lol
    3. What phone provider do you use and do you have a unlimited data plan - Again what does this have to do with anything?

This one is my fav.

"tell me about a time when you had to fix something that you broke... why did it break and what did you do to fix it"

My answer: Well my dog pooped on someones yard, so I had to clean it up. thats how I fixed what my dog broke :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    While not a question during an application but a recent job interview. The advertised position was security, but 99% of the interview was spent with them asking me Windows administration questions...it was an hour long interview and I told them over and over that I haven't been a windows administrator before (not do I wish to be one!) and it's very clear from my CV but the guys kept going on and on - as if he were on autopilot....I left the place questioning their IQ

Those interviews are the worst. It's like they don't read your resume or even listen to what you're saying. Does me saying the words "I don't know" make you all tingly inside or something?
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. What is your fav color and why? - Ummm what does my fav color have anything to do with this??? Science says that liking certain colors can be attributed to personality. I disagree, and this question is retarded.
    2. How clean is your car and if its messy why is it like that? - lol - If your car is messy it supposed to say that your office notes and work life will be as well.
    3. What phone provider do you use and do you have an unlimited data plan - Again what does this have to do with anything? If you have an unlimited data plan that you spend too much time on your phone and social media. Again, all stupid questions.
  • sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »

2. How clean is your car and if its messy why is it like that? - lol

My father-in-law used to do hiring for the company he worked for. When the interview was over he would make it a point to walk them to their car on the way out. The goal was to get a look in their car to see how organized it was.

The idea is if you are disorganized in your life outside of work you will be disorganized in your work. Makes sense to me. Not sure about just asking the question in the interview though...
    That seems a bit of a stretch. Unless I saw some legitimate sources, I don't see how a "messy" vehicle (which is a matter of opinion) necessarily correlates to a disorganized person at work.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    "Do you like single malt scotch?" is a recent one I got that was kind of odd. I do of course, but not sure it's the best interview question.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The worst questions I ever had were for jobs as a Dean. A lot of touchy feely psychobabble crap. How does cloudy weather make you feel? How do you describe emotional intelligence? Have you ever been angry? What type of car would you drive and why? The worst schools were the ones using The Pacific Institute. It was very cultish. I remember they made me as an interviewer go into a meeting and before the meeting they did their affirmations and then chanted them together. Very scary stuff if you say it enough it will come true crap. They offered me a job and I was desperate at the time and took it. Needless to say I left in a month it only got more cultish. They got into guided imagery and all sort of weird crap. Lots of questions regarding how I would accept this.
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    "Do you like single malt scotch?" is a recent one I got that was kind of odd. I do of course, but not sure it's the best interview question.

This is a very serious question. And one that could lead to you not getting the job if you answer no..... lol
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The worst questions I ever had were for jobs as a Dean. A lot of touchy feely psychobabble crap. How does cloudy weather make you feel? How do you describe emotional intelligence? Have you ever been angry? What type of car would you drive and why? The worst schools were the ones using The Pacific Institute. It was very cultish. I remember they made me as an interviewer go into a meeting and before the meeting they did their affirmations and then chanted them together. Very scary stuff if you say it enough it will come true crap. They offered me a job and I was desperate at the time and took it. Needless to say I left in a month it only got more cultish. They got into guided imagery and all sort of weird crap. Lots of questions regarding how I would accept this.

You should have stayed!!! You could have been their Cult leader.... All you had to do was say "I have been sent by the Gods to lead you all into everlasting paradise with affirmations and love" icon_lol.gif
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    "Is it possible to make four equilateral triangles with six match sticks?"

Kind of. Use 4 to make a square them put an X across the middle. Well, the sides might not be all equal length, but that will make 4 triangles.
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261

My answer would be "I don't know". I don't drink alcohol. So I don't know if I would like it or not.
  • bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    Kind of. Use 4 to make a square them put an X across the middle. Well, the sides might not be all equal length, but that will make 4 triangles.

Won't quite work because the two sticks making the X would need to be sqrt(2) longer than the 4 side sticks. I'm pretty sure they assume all the match sticks to be the same length (although not sure). And then, even if they were longer, as you said, you'd have isosceles triangles instead of equilateral.

But there is a way to do. I'll post the solution if you like.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interviewer: Are you afraid of Symantec Ghost?

My Answer: Yes but only when it makes a duplicate image of itself.