MSTP config question

klez0011klez0011 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello all
assume that i have 1 switch(SW-A){e.g SW L3:3560} that i define 4 vlans on it(10,20,30,40) this switch connect to other 4 switch with each other switch hast one of the vlan(in order from left : 10 , 20 , 30 , 40 )
so i choose MST Protocol
and i run VTP in all switch (1 server . 4 Clients)
should i config other 4 switch same as SW-A
or no type in Global mode icon_sad.gifconf)#spanning-tree mode mst
that's enough?
config in SW-A as i show in picture:
spanning-tree mode mst
spanning-tree mst configuration
ins 1 vlan 10,20
ins 2 vlan 30,40
reg ME
rev 1

i want each switch has only get only 1 vlan (one of them 10 secondly 20 third 30 and last 40 that i show you in picture below)
i mean i should copy every thing i type in SW-A as i typed before in other switch or no for activate MST in VTP Client type spanning-tree mode mst ?
after that i specify that int e.g. Fa0/1 : switchport mode truck allowed vlan (only 10)
1.jpg 13.2K

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am REALLY trying hard to understand you here...

But the basic 3 elements required to configuure an MST Region are the following:
    1.) MST Region Name
    2.) MST Config Rev Number
    3.) MST Vlan-to-Instance mappings

Now, if you are also relying on VTP to propagate vlan information you can use 1 server to do that yes, but still need to configure the other MST switches desired in the region with the following items I listed above to run MST.

I hope this helps.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • klez0011klez0011 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am REALLY trying hard to understand you here...

But the basic 3 elements required to configuure an MST Region are the following:
    1.) MST Region Name
    2.) MST Config Rev Number
    3.) MST Vlan-to-Instance mappings

Now, if you are also relying on VTP to propagate vlan information you can use 1 server to do that yes, but still need to configure the other MST switches desired in the region with the following items I listed above to run MST.

I hope this helps.

yes completely helpicon_wink.gif
    but only 1 thing you mean in all switches as shown in picture below i should run after spanning-tree mst mode and no different between each!
    spanning-tree mst confi
    region
    revision
    and define Vlan if not use VTP(if i use vtp no problem it propagate )

1.jpg 13.2K
  • klez0011klez0011 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so what the result at last?
  • Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oddly enough, I've just reached that part of my studies and had a similar question and have found your thread. From the OCG:

MST Regions
    If a switch is configured to use MST, it somehow must figure out which of its neighbors are using which type of STP. This is done by configuring switches into common MST regions, where every switch in a region runs MST with compatible parameters. Within the region, all switches must run the instance of MST that is defined by the following attributes:

■ MST configuration name (32 characters)
    ■ MST configuration revision number (0 to 65535)
    ■ MST instance-to-VLAN mapping table (4096 entries)

If two switches have the same set of attributes, they belong to the same MST region. If not, they belong to two independent regions.

So yeah, exactly like Daniel said, except with the added weight of book learnin'
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Typically you will need VTP v3 to send out MST, otherwise you'll need to manually configure each device with the same settings. MST is basically RSTP under the hood.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese