Options

help witch configuration a cisco Switch

maoradri1992maoradri1992 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys I need your help .
i got this diagram in this link ---- View image: LAB
My qeustion is , there is any configuration that I need to make on the switch to make the client and the server communicate? ( like sending a PING )
please tell me what to do . i got stack .

Comments

• Options
    sunilh121sunilh121 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you configure it properly? Both swith port with ip address, did you do an advance ping?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    This looks a bit like a router on a stick configuration. You can do this with an unmanaged Layer 2 switch, with two cables to the router, and the router's two interfaces configured for the different subnets. It is bad practice (overlapping broadcast domains), but the switch wouldn't need any configuration besides plugging in cables.

It's better to create two VLANs on the switch, one for the 'client' subnet and one for the 'server' subnet. You make the port for the client an access port on the client VLAN, and the port for the server an access port for the server VLAN. You can either run two cables to the router, one for each VLAN, or you can run one cable and create a trunk. You will then need the router to de-encapsulate the VLANs from the trunk. This is classic router on a stick configuration, which I think is in Cisco CCNA R+S ICND2.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    zzyzzzzyzz Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since both networks are on the same router all you will need to do is configure the client/server with IP Addresses, a subnet mask, and a default gateway. Then configure the IP addresses and subnet mask on the router interfaces and issue a "no shutdown" command. There is no need to configure the switch.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You are going to want to set up two separate vlans if you are doing this with one switch. It will logically treat the switch as two separate switches with different broadcast domains. You want segmented broadcast domains if you are using two separate networks or subnets.

Octaldump hit the nail on the head. If you are using both interfaces on the router, then an access port from each vlan should do. (pretending it is two separate lans on two different switches)
    If not, then a single trunk port from the switch will carry vlan traffic from both vlans. The router will then do the routing to let these vlans talk.

Not much more to add. May I ask why this is in the N+ section? Is this really on the new exams? Maybe its to know the difference between trunk and access ports. Remember, trunk ports carry multiple vlan traffic. But you will need a layer3 switch or a router to "route" traffic to the proper vlan as these are now separate networks and the routers job is to not only break up broadcast domains, but to sit between networks to let them talk.

hit us up with more q's if you have.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree