Feeling burnt out

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had another job interview today after gaining my CCNA and passing the Server 2012 70-410 on Tuesday and I was told i came a very close second after a rigorous interview process, in some ways coming second is worse than being 4th or 5th choice for the job, you feel as if you've done enough but still don't get anywhere. I do mainly self employed work at the moment to support myself through these exams and learn more as well. I just feel burnt out while having those certs and a degree as well in computing i still cant gain employment! Very frustrating and disheartening.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I know how you feel, been there and it sucks. They say 'don't take it personally', but how can you not? At least you are 'working' so take heart in that and be proud of it (and put that in your resume!) Step it up a notch in your interview process. Buy a business notebook/briefcase. On every interview, take it with you on your research on the company and questions that pertain to the position. You will stand out.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Exactly! It's frustrating coming 2nd in a way because you know inside you can do the job but you feel as if you never catch a break and everything is always an uphill battle. I dont know what else to do beside keep at it and hope something comes along, but thats not very reassuring to be honest.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just keep going at it. Things get easier with time, experience and certs, you will get the job you want soon.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at it as you're improving your interview skills and very close to landing a position.

I've been told I was second twice for entry and second position and it boosted my confidence and nailed the next interviews which led to offers. You got it!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    Exactly! It's frustrating coming 2nd in a way because you know inside you can do the job but you feel as if you never catch a break and everything is always an uphill battle. I dont know what else to do beside keep at it and hope something comes along, but thats not very reassuring to be honest.

Is the job market weak in the UK for IT? I had right to live there for the longest and recruiters/companies treated me like absolute garbage when attempting to return. Endless mind games were played. However, when speaking with recruiters, they always asserted that the market was great.

What is the real situation there?

When it was the other way around and I wanted to return to the USA while living there, recruiters actually tried to help me return.

Good luck to you by the way.
    Is the job market weak in the UK for IT? I had right to live there for the longest and recruiters/companies treated me like absolute garbage when attempting to return. Endless mind games were played. However, when speaking with recruiters, they always asserted that the market was great.

What is the real situation there?

When it was the other way around and I wanted to return to the USA while living there, recruiters actually tried to help me return.

Good luck to you by the way.

For the most part its pretty good, but in certain cities its more prominent than others and i come from one of the cities where its not as prominent. If you have a choice of a certain city though then it would probably be pretty easy for you.
    I'm actually thinking about going back to the company and asking whether or not i can volunteer there. Seeing as how i did come a close second according to the boss and i know the setup there also, maybe its worth asking.
    Money isn't an as big at the moment for me, its getting the experience within the workplace.

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Think of it this way, if you came in 2nd that guy that beat you won't be around to beat you on the next one.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Think of it this way, if you came in 2nd that guy that beat you won't be around to beat you on the next one.

Or you can find the guy that beat you, and beat him up so he can't come to work and then since you were second then you get the job :D

I have been told "you are good but not good enough. But we are going to offer the job to someone else and if they don't accept then you have the job". I find that is a good way of saying "thanks for your time but we already selected our guy". just keep casting your line. If money is not an issue and you just want experience then try looking for small side gigs around your general area to do. It may just lead to a different job.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look at the silver lining you came 2nd in the decision that means out of all of the other candidates you came very very close. That means you are doing the right things. So keep at it you will land something very soon. Rethink what you could improve on and make whatever adjustments but you got it.
  • motheomotheo Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't lose hope, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Something will come your way and you will find a job.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That first real job in IT is the hardest job to land. Are you working on your soft skills in addition to your technical skills?
  • MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you on linkedIn? Loads of jobs on there.

You have done well just to get the interview so don't let it get you down. Just go into the next one really confident and make them think you are the only person for the job.

Good luck