Sec+ Success

FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed on Thursday. Taking the exam, I felt a bit underprepared. Still pulled off an 819 so I'll deal.

Study materials:
  • Cybrary Security+ Videos
  • Professor Messer's Videos/$10 **** Sheet
  • CompTIA CertMaster
  • PrepLogic SYO-201 (Audiobook that I had free access to. Most of the material was still relevant).
Bonus help:
  • ISACA CyberSecurity Fundamentals Study Guide
  • Assorted labs for my MS program, particularly ones involving Active Directory
First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:

Comments

• jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First, congrats!

Second, do you think prof. Messer's video and **** sheet $10.00 help much or just ok?
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Congratulations! Good job... what next?
  • FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jhntbright wrote: »
    First, congrats!

Second, do you think prof. Messer's video and **** sheet $10.00 help much or just ok?

Thanks! I'd say the notes are definitely worth it. They're basically every visual aid from his videos in a condensed format. I think they'd be perfect as a final read-through before the exam, just to keep some key words in your mind. Big fan of the videos, especially going through the saved recordings of his monthly study sessions. Honestly I should have made sure to watch all of his videos and read the notes more. Got lucky.
    Tongy wrote: »
    Congratulations! Good job... what next?

CISA, CISSP after. I actually don't work in a hands-on security role, more an audit/assurance guy. Figured it wouldn't hurt to do Sec+ anyway, in case the opportunity for more hands-on work appears. icon_cool.gif
  • PH4NTOMPH4NTOM Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. I'm looking forward to taking it in a matter of weeks. Appears to be easier than Net+
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FSF150 wrote: »
    CISA, CISSP after. I actually don't work in a hands-on security role, more an audit/assurance guy. Figured it wouldn't hurt to do Sec+ anyway, in case the opportunity for more hands-on work appears.

Congrats! I passed my SEC+ back in August and my CISSP in March.
  • neoryan08neoryan08 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, first of Congratulations...

I am interested in Security+...but it is wise to study Security+ without goin to the training ?

background from cisco and checkpoint.
    i am so lookin forward to the security path..

thanks.
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Neoryano8,
    I don't have any security background but when I read comptia suggestion recommended that we should have network+ before going to security+ and this is what I did and I think this will be wise.
    I'm sure the Sec+ question bank is varied enough that people have very different test experiences, but I can't think of many questions where I thought "Man, I wish I'd studied networking stuff harder". As far as Net+, if you know VLANs and why you might want to use them for security I'd say you're about set for Sec+. Wireless networking shows up for crypto and security related questions too.

It all depends on how good of a test taker you are. If you can study and grasp the material then between Certmaster, Professor Messer, and Cybrary videos all the material you need is close at hand.
  • neoryan08neoryan08 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the comment.

Even with experience in network skills of using cisco and the concept. It feel doesn't uneasy to bring on the Security+ as about crypto and other security really will test the person knowledge in security skills and most important the experiences that person whom have within.

thanks. looking forward on security+ b4 year end, perhaps.
    as there is few certification require to be achieve.
  • cee134cee134 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are a Audit guy, it sounds like you would be better suited to get the CISA and then follow it up with CISM. I see alot of job posts looking for one or the other. CISSP is good, but it's hard, takes awhile to study for, and you have to prove you have 5 years of experience first. Still, it's good if you can get it. But another key to CISA is you can join the local ISACA and the test will be cheaper, and the networking is suppose to be very good. My instructor told me about this, and said when it comes down to it, it's the people you know.
    cee134 wrote: »
    If you are a Audit guy, it sounds like you would be better suited to get the CISA and then follow it up with CISM. I see alot of job posts looking for one or the other. CISSP is good, but it's hard, takes awhile to study for, and you have to prove you have 5 years of experience first. Still, it's good if you can get it. But another key to CISA is you can join the local ISACA and the test will be cheaper, and the networking is suppose to be very good. My instructor told me about this, and said when it comes down to it, it's the people you know.

I'm a fan of certs because they provide a motivation to study. Deadlines and actual tests are great. I plan on doing CISA right away, CISSP I'll actually qualify for next summer by combining previous experience and education. May as well knock it out. CISM and CRISC are probably on the list after that. You're right about the networking too, my CISA review class was an ISACA class so I met a bunch of good people.

Learning is fun. icon_study.gif
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats!!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□