Options

WGU capstone project, how does it work?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have not enrolled in WGU but I'm toying with the idea and doing research. The question I have, for those who have already completed the degrees in WGU is about the capstone project. Did you pick something from a list of available projects or did you come up with your own project? Does it have to be a real project of can it be theorerical? Can I use a project that I'm currently involved with at work as my capstone project or is that not allowed? I'm about to start deployment of a new solution in the next few weeks, can I use this work project as my WGU project?

Comments

• Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The answer to all your questions is yes. When I did my capstone I chose a project that was based on something I had done for work. I had to get permission to use it from my employer and it had to be approved. As it was explained to me if it wasn't approved I could try and come up with something else or my mentor could present a list of ideas.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read in the course of study that it takes about two weeks to get a response on the project from Taskstream. Is that an accurate length of time?

Also, is the proposal portion mandatory? And if so, how long did that take to get through Taskstream as well?
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Ender - It depends on if you're talking about a Bachelor's capstone or a Master's. At least it did when I finished my BSIT last year. It took them just three days to return my grade on my capstone. The Master's, however, is quite a bit different from what I can see. It does say that it takes about two weeks to get your written portion back before you can move on to the oral part. With the BSIT my proposal was actually a whole separate class (the technical writing one). Then the capstone was essentially the "implementation and after-action" report.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    There is an oral part also?
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Master's capstone was very simple - I did a theoretical project and got my approval back from my final submission within a couple of days. I think most students choose something related to a work project. You can browse through the capstone archives and see some examples if you would like.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    I read in the course of study that it takes about two weeks to get a response on the project from Taskstream. Is that an accurate length of time?

Also, is the proposal portion mandatory? And if so, how long did that take to get through Taskstream as well?
    My prospectus and actual project were graded within two days (MS ISA). Was able to schedule my verbal defense within 3 days of completing the project.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The capstone was the only actually enjoyable part of the MSISA degree for me. I chose a topic I was very familiar with and sailed through it. For details on the oral defense see http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/117076-wgu-capstone-oral-defense.html

As mentioned above, once you enroll go see the archives to get a feel for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Goatama, I'm working on the MS:ISA. The idea of having to wait two weeks before getting a response was making me nervous. But it's good to hear you all have much faster experiences than that. I plan on taking the CHFI next Friday, then it's onto the Capstone. So I'll have a personal experience to contribute to you in about a month or so, TheFORCE.

The oral defense is my most dreaded part of the entire degree. I'm one of those stereotypical awkward IT guys, so talking a lot isn't something I look forward to icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    The oral defense is nothing. I don't think it is possible to fail that section unless you show up with no slides or something like that! All I did was click through 10-15 slides talking about my thesis in very broad terms, asked for questions (there were none), and that was it.
  • Options
    The oral defense is nothing. I don't think it is possible to fail that section unless you show up with no slides or something like that! All I did was click through 10-15 slides talking about my thesis in very broad terms, asked for questions (there were none), and that was it.
    Good stuff. I'm still not looking forward to doing it, but at least I know I'm almost guaranteed to pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    How many people sat for your oral defense? Other people weren't available at my allotted time, so it was just a one-on-one.
  • Options
    I had three people on the call. My evaluator, my mentor, and one other guy I didn't know who came in late and left early.
  • Options
    Great feedback everyone! Thanks! Now myself and others have a better idea how this works.