Getting a full time job

nygs82nygs82 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys I have my A + with no experience and I have a family that I need to support I have a full time job already in the medical field and offer benefits I was considering temp agencies to get get my foot in the door but I need to consider that there's no benefits and I can't afford not having benefits with a family. I filled out several applications for enrty level help desk jobs and they all require you to have experience any advice. Thanks .

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a ton of threads here with good info that I'd recommend looking up. In your situation, I would start volunteering on websites and non-profit orgs to get tangible experience on your resume. Keep working on certs too. Network+ would be a good one. After having that experience they are going to be much more apt to hire you.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out sites like workmarket.com, onforce.com, fieldsolutions.com. I have gotten a few jobs from workmarket and I highly reccomend them. The sites are job sites where you bid on a job and you can get it and do the jobs usually a day or night gig and get paid for them. You can use that to get experience.
    Also if you have your A+ you should be able to get your foot in the door. What experience do you have???
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Always depends where you are. I live in Denver and it is pretty difficult to jump into a direct hire situation with only help desk experience. Most places will do a temp to hire type situation. You can sometimes compensate for the loss of benefits with the increased pay jump though. Best advice would be to attend Meet Up groups related to IT and network yourself. Way easier to get a direct full time hire w/o the help of an agency if you have someone vouching for you.
  • nygs82nygs82 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks guys and spectre I have no experience just the certification .
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Where are you located?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • nygs82nygs82 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm located in baltimore
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    nygs82 wrote: »
    Ok thanks guys and spectre I have no experience just the certification .

Ouch. I think Pragmatics was hiring for $15 an hour as a help desk in Beltsville.
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Check out sites like workmarket.com, onforce.com, fieldsolutions.com. I have gotten a few jobs from workmarket and I highly reccomend them. The sites are job sites where you bid on a job and you can get it and do the jobs usually a day or night gig and get paid for them. You can use that to get experience.
    Also if you have your A+ you should be able to get your foot in the door. What experience do you have???

I started to sign up for workmarket, but when they got to wanting my bank information, I said no.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since you work in the medical field, do you have a position that could allow to you have a non-traditional schedule? If so, what about shifting to evenings, weekends, part-time, etc., in order to maintain a solid paycheck and benefits while finding contract work in IT to build your experience? Then, once you are ready to get a permanent position with benefits, you could lose the other job.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey Nygs82, I'm not too far away from you. I'm going to send you a PM.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You are near me as well. There are a lot of jobs at Ft. Detrick. Go to their website and take a look!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....