A+ Study Tricks

gbin413gbin413 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Techexam,

I am in the process of finishing up Mike Meyer's 9th edition A+ book. It's been quite interesting and loving it so far. Need some help from help you guys that had passed the test or are currently still studying. I read a few other posts regarding "how to study" for the test but figured I'll start another thread (SORRY!!!). So after I finish the book, I am going to watch Professor Messer's videos on YouTube and also take some practice test on Examcompass. I am a MAC user and I'm having trouble with Command Prompt for Windows since it looks like the A+ is heavily focused on Windows, is there a good simulated place for me to go learn it? Are the text on Examcompass similar to what the actual test looks like?

Again, sorry for starting another thread. I want to take the test within the next month or so. Whatever advice/tricks/tips anyone have would be tremendously helpful!

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're right to put these commands to practice. Trying to memorise something is not as beneficial and putting it into practice and seeing it for yourself.

You could get a free piece of virtualisation software such as Oracle VM VirtualBox, and a copy of a windows operating system. This would allow you to set up a virtual machine to practice the commands.
    If you watch Professor Messers Study Groups, he does advertise a piece of software which allows you to set up a simulation of virtual machines. This would also work but I imagine it would be quite expensive.

I personally made a list of the commands and a list of what the commands do. I then cut them up and match them up every so often. It doesn't take long to memorize what the commands are used for. I did the same for the protcols and ports aswell, which port number corresponds which which protocol.

Server and Storage Analyst
    CompTIA A+
    MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712
  • Chrisq19xxChrisq19xx Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hope this is on topic but do you guys think it's better to study and take 901 and 902 consecutively? Or would you recommend I study 901 take the test then study the 902 exam? Is there a time frame you need to complete it once I take one exam?
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chrisq19xx wrote: »
    Hope this is on topic but do you guys think it's better to study and take 901 and 902 consecutively? Or would you recommend I study 901 take the test then study the 902 exam? Is there a time frame you need to complete it once I take one exam?

I did the 801-802 within 2 weeks of each other, there was 801 stuff on the 802 test OR part of a 802 question. I am sure just replace 8 with a 9 and it would be the same. No time frame but do it and get it over with while all fresh in your mind. * time frame would be when the 900 series expires
  • Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chrisq19xx wrote: »

I did both exams within 10 minutes of each other. Study everything and just bash them both out. When I studied, I didn't know whether the stuff I was learning would be applicable to 801 or 802. Aslong as you know your stuff you should be fine. Get a good book.

Server and Storage Analyst
    CompTIA A+
    MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    General study tips.

Try to learn as much through hands on as possible. Theory only goes so far or 20 percent mastery. While doing the same tasks will help you to 70 percent mastery. Teaching the same concepts to another no matter how embarrassing or droll will help you master 90 percent. Practice over time equates the last 10 percent to 100.

Your taking A+ to obtain a job your most likely to be working with what else but Windows machines rarely Macs.

Master the topic(s).

- b/eads
  • gbin413gbin413 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the advice guys!!!