L3 Switch

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Howdy Fellas,
Whats a nice solid L3 switch cisco switch to buy thatll get me through the cnna and ccnp and not need to be replaced but last?

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    3750 would do the job. Just make sure it's a model that can run 15.x code and you should be solid. You should be able to find a couple one ebay for $50-100/each
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It doesn't run ios 15... well at least officially.

It looks like the 3750G's and 3570v2's will run ios15.

The 3560 are good also, but beware of the same issue with ios 15 not supported on all of them. The Cisco ios download navigator is a good way to check if a particular switch will run ios 15.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where do i get ios?
    fpso wrote: »
    Where do i get ios?

Through a support contract with Cisco or (hopefully) you get the switch with ios 15 already installed.
    Usually most of the ebay vendors will tell you what version of IOS the switch is running. Just make sure you grab one with 15.x and you should be good :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • tokamaktokamak Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why is it important for a switch/router to be able to run IOS 15? I've been browsing eBay lately, but most I find that are reasonably priced say IOS 12 or they don't mention the IOS at all. I was just going to settle for IOS 12 for learning. Am I missing much by not having IOS 15?
    Because 15.x is the IOS that all the syntax and feature set of the CCNA/CCNP is geared for these days. If the OP wants something that's going to last him through all those exams, it's smarter to go with something that has 15.x IOS
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where do i get ios?

You can download the IP Base image from Cisco, but the IP Services (required for Full L3 support) image typically requires a service contract with Cisco.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Because 15.x is the IOS that all the syntax and feature set of the CCNA/CCNP is geared for these days. If the OP wants something that's going to last him through all those exams, it's smarter to go with something that has 15.x IOS

For Layer 2, the latest version of 12.2SE (that is supported on 3560/3750 with 16 MB of Flash) supports all the required features for CCNA and CCNP for the time being. INE says that 15.0SE is required for some of their CCIE labs, which is why a 15 capable L3 switch is preferable.
    theodoxa wrote: »
    For Layer 2, the latest version of 12.2SE (that is supported on 3560/3750 with 16 MB of Flash) supports all the required features for CCNA and CCNP for the time being. INE says that 15.0SE is required for some of their CCIE labs, which is why a 15 capable L3 switch is preferable.

OSPFv3 and named EIGRP might not run on 12. I don't think that SWITCH gets heavy with those, but they are in ROUTE and TSHOOT.

The official Cisco lab manuals for SWITCH are designed around ios 15. I think that a lot still works with no modifications on ios 12.
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Howdy Fellas,
    Whats a nice solid L3 switch cisco switch to buy thatll get me through the cnna and ccnp and not need to be replaced but last?

Leaving all the others to explain about why IOS 15, I'll address the original question.

Any 3560 that isn't PoE
    WS-C3560-24TS-S
    WS-C3560-24TT-L

No reason you can't buy the 48-port versions other than they're likely to be more expensive. Same goes for newer versions and 3560G (gigabit) switches, nice if you can afford them but would serve little benefit outside of bragging rights. Just check the first letter after the number of ports (8/24/48 ), a P means PoE and 16mb flash, a T means it's not PoE and (probably has) 32mb flash and therefore able to load IOS 15.
  • Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GDaines wrote: »
    Any 3560 that isn't PoE
    WS-C3560-24TS-S
    WS-C3560-24TT-L

No reason you can't buy the 48-port versions other than they're likely to be more expensive. Same goes for newer versions and 3560G (gigabit) switches, nice if you can afford them but would serve little benefit outside of bragging rights. Just check the first letter after the number of ports (8/24/48 ), a P means PoE and 16mb flash, a T means it's not PoE and (probably has) 32mb flash and therefore able to load IOS 15.
    Went thru this myself just a few weeks ago, and spot-on.

The C3560-48TS switches I have (kinda wound up with 4 of em) are all 32Mb Flash and came with 15.0(2)SE8....the first two were literally twice as much as the second pair, you should be able to find the 48-port versions for around $50.

I'd suggest looking through the listings for actual 'sh ver' and/or POST output, and if it's not explicitly listed ask the seller.
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
    why do no people sell 3750s on ebay with 15 ios?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I suppose you'd have to ask the people selling them. If I had to guess I'd assume most of them are pulled out of old environments that had no need for new code features.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    should I spend more money for 3750's or less for 3560's? is there a difference?
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□

Because all 3750s with rj ports cant run version 15 of the ios.

The 3750V2 and 3750G models do
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□

The only thing the 3750 does that 3560 doesn't do is stack wise. And, you can't do stack wise with just one switch.
    And, the stack wise technology has been on the ccnp since it's last update and no one is running out and buying 3750's for the ccnp.
    clarson wrote: »
    The only thing the 3750 does that 3560 doesn't do is stack wise. And, you can't do stack wise with just one switch.
    And, the stack wise technology has been on the ccnp since it's last update and no one is running out and buying 3750's for the ccnp.

Yeah, I think stackwise for CCNP R+S is at the "describe" level. Not much you need to know really, maybe a couple of pages of description. There's also a little bit about RPR/RPR+, and people aren't jumping at buying 4500s or 6500s.

Most 3750s (Non-G, V2) only have 16 MB of Flash, so they can't store IOS 15.0SE. If I remember correctly, the 3750-24FS (100Base-FX Fiber) is the only Regular 3750 that can take 15. Even a few of the G Models only have 16 MB.