Windows Firewall?!

Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does Windows firewall actually used in production environment?

Currently studying for MCSA 2012 and there are plenty of stuffs related to windows firewall. But in all three places I worked so far, they just turn off the OS firewall (Both Windows and Linux) after the installation. The hardware firewalls are actually being used for the security.

Anyway, is there any of you who worked in a place where they rely on Windows firewall?

Just outta curiosity icon_cool.gif

Comments

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use Windows Firewall in production where I work. I've also been to several places where it's used as well. We do have hardware firewalls too but a good client firewall is also usually used whether it's the Windows firewall or a 3rd party solution. It's often recommended to use a multi-layer approach when it comes to security and firewalls are no exception. Windows Firewall used to not be so great but in the past few years it has come a long way and is now actually a decent solution
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Windows Firewall can be valuable if your perimeter firewall does not work, or if an attack originates from inside of the firewall.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use windows and linux firewall in production. Unless you have another software firewall it's a security risk.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It should be used in production yes, I don’t understand companies that turn off their client/server firewalls inside the network as it just makes internal attacks easier.

If you need ports opening then open them on the firewall or use Group Policy for global configration.