PTS upgrage with PTPv4?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanna get the PTSv3 course. I know PTPv4 will be released later this month. Does anyone know if PTS is generally upgraded when PTP is? I don't wanna get PTS and then they upgrade it and I have to pay for the upgrade. I emailed the support team but haven't received a response.

Thanks

Comments

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    PTS was upgraded about a year ago independently of PTP. I can't say whether or not that will continue to be the case, I'd wait for support to confirm it.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    PTS was upgraded about a year ago independently of PTP. I can't say whether or not that will continue to be the case, I'd wait for support to confirm it.

Ok. Thanks!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I doubt PTS will be upgraded in the near future, since it was recently refreshed. You should be good to take this one.

PTP has been in need of a refresh for awhile. I am really hoping the update is similar to the one they did for PTS. Comparing PTSv3 to PTPv3, the PTS course is really well designed and the modules are set up well.. PTP, sometimes a bit confusing structure wise. Hoping this will be addressed in the update.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I doubt PTS will be upgraded in the near future, since it was recently refreshed. You should be good to take this one.

PTP has been in need of a refresh for awhile. I am really hoping the update is similar to the one they did for PTS. Comparing PTSv3 to PTPv3, the PTS course is really well designed and the modules are set up well.. PTP, sometimes a bit confusing structure wise. Hoping this will be addressed in the update.

Thanks! I appreciate this. I think I'll purchase it today.
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those who have completed the PTSv3 training and certification, what was your time commitment for this? How many hours a day/week? How many weeks did it take to complete the training? and exam? I am trying to see if I have the time needed to get this done in the next month or two.

Thanks!
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    g33k3r,

It pretty much depends on how much time it takes you to learn and understand the information and apply it. I spent about two months focused on it and then took the certification. The certification took me from 10 to 15 hours to complete it. Some people got it done in under 5 hours. It took me so long with the exam because I made a mistake and thought something was messed up when I got the information for the exam but it was just me messing up.

I'm not trying to be difficult but the stuff varies and depends on you. I would go through labs and take up 3 hours per lab while others was 30min. It got to the point where almost every lab was under an hour on average because I kept studying.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • lugerluger Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    g33k3r wrote: »
    For those who have completed the PTSv3 training and certification, what was your time commitment for this? How many hours a day/week? How many weeks did it take to complete the training? and exam? I am trying to see if I have the time needed to get this done in the next month or two.

Thanks!

Took me around 25 hours to go through all the material, videos, labs and understand it. Then another like 12 hours to go over all the labs once more. The exam took me 14 hours to complete but only took me so long as i was messing up just as jamesleecoleman did. I made the huge mistake of taking things for granted and overthinking.

I would say a good solid month would get you through it. Being comfortable in doing the labs are the key to success in this one.
    Great. Thanks for the feedback! Are the instructions for the exam difficult to understand and causing confusion? Or is it due to test anxiety so to speak?

Thanks!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The full course took me around 30 days to complete, moving at a decent pace. I do get some down time at my job, so I spent most of that time studying. I wouldn't rush it. Take plenty of notes. I went back over through my notes constantly throughout the labs. Once I completed the course, I went back through the labs several times until I was very comfortable with the material. My goal was to go through each lab without notes, even if I had to wing some things as I went along. If you can go through the labs and feel comfortable - then you are ready for the exam.

Most of the instructions for the course and the exam are well written. When the revised the PTS course for version 3, they did a very good job with the instructions. At no point throughout the course did I feel lost or confused - other than having to go through a module again that I didn't fully understand.

My total exam time from start to finish was around 6 hours. I don't know what the average time to complete the exam is, but I will say that the exam is comprehensive. It covers the majority of what you learn and touches on each topic. I was well prepared, but I imagine that it is feasible to complete it is in less time. They give you an ample window to complete the exam. The exam is not incredibly difficult, but you do need to be prepared for it. As I said before, it touches a lot of the tools you learned throughout the course. You will probably have a few frustrating moments - I had to reset the lab once during the exam because of an issue with a server.

The course is absolutely worth it.
    Thanks for the feedback! I've been spending so much time dealing with compliance and risk management that it would be nice to brush up on my technical skills at bit :)