I'm about to lose my mind

bradfordobradfordo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
My background: I've been working for huge hospital group in the Boston Area for about 5 years now. Even though im classed as a pc tech, I deal with troubleshooting various network problems and ive been involved in many network projects.

I bought a voucher about year ago and never came around to taking the test. The voucher included a free retake and the Comptia Cert Plus. About 2 weeks ago I realized that the voucher was going to expire within 3 weeks and it would've been a total waste of money if I didn't take the test. I scheduled the test 2 weeks out and started studying.

I read through Mike Myers' Network plus book and completed all the labs and exams. I read through the exam cram and I was able to answers all the questions. I figured out how to do sub netting multiple ways. i.e. magic number, old fashioned binary, and number in the box. I purchased 2 simulators from different companies and mastered all the labs and test ( about 60 different labs). I went through professor mess site and even purchased his total test. There are about 700 questions in the engine and I was getting scores over 90 percent. I spent a good 70 hours studying within this time frame. Despite passing all the test with a high percentile, I still didnt feel like I was ready for the test.

Test day came and I ran out of time on the test. I got a 662 out 900. I had 12 questions left.

I scheduled the retake a week later.

I reviewed my material and studied for about 40 additional hours. I felt better going into the test , especially after being able to to see some of the questions.

Test day came and I was able to complete all the questions. I was confident that I had passed this time and didnt feel comfortable with one of the lab based questions and roughly 15 questions.

The results came up and I got a 635 out 900. That felt like a kick to the face. Needless to say , i was mad with myself for not studying sooner and I only have myself to blame for the failure.

Despite the failure , I intend on studying for another month before taking it again. If i wait any longer, I will forget the stuff that I've learned up to this point.

One thing I want to mention about the test is that most of my questions felt like they are all scenario based. The questions that you get in these test engines online and books are straight forward questions. i.e. what is a router? what is switch? All im saying is dont expect questions like this on the test.

I also noticed that some of questions they ask are not referenced at all in any of the books . I even purchased additional videos and pdf just to see if i could find information about some of the missing topics and I still haven't seen them. One topic i would suggest learing about is Point to Point wireless connections for building to building and configuration. I cant find anything that goes into detail about this.

Good luck to anyone taking this test in the future.

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try Professor Messer. His videos are free and you can watch them and that will fill up any gaps you may have. His videos are HIGHLY recommended for any of the CompTia exams.

Good luck you will pass :)
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I found about what you were stuck on....

Point to Point connections AKA P2P: https://fluidmesh.com/point-to-point-wireless/

That is all I could find for you online.... I hope it helps you out!
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you use Mike Meyer's All-In-One book? I used that when I took the 005 version of the test. I have heard of the newer version being harder. I've never used Professor Messor myself, but as ITSpectre said a lot of people recommend his materials.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried the Transcender practice tests? They're a little expensive but I've found them to be more than valuable when studying for any cert
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • STXRGFSTXRGF Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Prof Messer series on Youtube is a great source for study material online. If you are investing in study materials you can also grab the CompTIA A+ Review Guide. Its a great book that goes over bullet points and the essentials of the cert.