Remote Cyber Security Roles?

Hello Again TE!

What Cyber Security roles typically allow for remote work? I am curious since the Digital Nomad concept is getting really popular.

Thanks!

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it really depends on the company, from what I've seen many/most security roles don't involve a lot of hands on work. If I can remote into equipment I'm good, if that equipment breaks in most cases someone else has to fix at the hardware level, I'll do config but I don't normally have to be standing right in front of it to do it.

Like every other disclaimer, "it depends", the field is very wide. A friend of mine works at an FBI computer forensics lab, he's all hands on.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Agree. Almost any security role lends itself to remote work. GRC, analyst, engineer, architect, consultant, etc. The issue is more related to the company culture than the role itself.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    That makes sense!

Would a big exception to this be management?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well management usually has a many meetings a day they need to be there for, would be tough.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Is anyone currently in a mostly telework/remote Cyber Security role? If so, what is your job title and what do you do/duties?

Thanks!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Varies per org. I worked in a telco's SOC that required that we only come into the office once a week and I would go home on my lunch break. I did bank security where the CISO allowed me to work from home whenever I needed to.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As everyone has said its more about company culture not necessary the role. I've been given the option to work from home 3 days a week if i want to as long as i can attend meetings, etc.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey ZzBloop - I do

Getting a remote / telework job depends on your experience. There are a lot of programming, technical writing, compliance, and research jobs that allow for remote work. If you have more of a hands on role within IT, say a Network Admin, then that's probably out of the question.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As everyone has said its more about company culture not necessary the role. I've been given the option to work from home 3 days a week if i want to as long as i can attend meetings, etc.

That's probably more my goal at work now. I don't mind being there sometimes, catch up with everyone, general BS, I do get more done at home though. Right now I'm remote 1 day a week with the freedom to leave when I need to but they might raise an eyebrow if I did it constantly.