Microsoft to aquire LinkedIn

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    oh no! Not them.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    all good things must come to an end!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe they can hire all the laid off Nokia employees.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can just see MS changing LinkedIn premium membership red X to accept.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did not see that one coming...
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I just don't understand the purchase at that ridiculous valuation. I'm interested in seeing what they do with it though.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Well, I guess that's another reason I can give on why I'm not on Linkedin.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting, LinkedIn aquired Lynda.Com and now Microsoft aquires LinkedIn. This is probably more to do with shareholders and stock prices. When you are a monolith like MS it's easier to aquire and drive up your stock prices. Share holders will be happy for a quarter or two with this move.
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why does everyone think this is a bad thing? I honestly rather it be M$ than FB or Google that bought them.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just hoping Microsoft will try to get the domain name linkedin365.com.. My colleagues and I bought it this morning, we'll see what happens.
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    broli720 wrote: »
    Why does everyone think this is a bad thing? I honestly rather it be M$ than FB or Google that bought them.

Agree on that front..
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They just purchased a captive professional user base of 433 Million folks that will only be expanding. Hell, it seems a bargain at $60 each.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    "Accelerate monetization through individual and organization subscriptions and targeted advertising":

Why Microsoft just bought LinkedIn: It's all about the data | ZDNet
    LinkedIn had planned to host a live streaming of the WWDC 2016 keynote from its offices in San Francisco. But Monday morning, the official page for the watch party was updated to say that the event was canceled.

Though the page didn't specifically reference Microsoft's buyout of LinkedIn, visitors were told to visit the official LinkedIn press information site "for more information." Microsoft and LinkedIn announced the $26.2 billion purchase earlier Monday.

"We hope you are able to find alternative accommodations and apologize for any inconvenience," the site reads.

Probably because all the talk would be about the Microsoft acquisition.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I just don't understand the purchase at that ridiculous valuation. I'm interested in seeing what they do with it though.

Exactly, see what they did with Minecraft!, I am sure they have some good ideas.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    inb4 forced upgrades to LinkedIn-10
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    wd40 wrote: »
    Exactly, see what they did with Minecraft!, I am sure they have some good ideas.

Heaps! LinkedIn IS a successful platform as it is....they can also sell personalised information, customise advertisements...etc. Maybe integrate with Bing? Make Bing more job search friendly? who knows. They can afford it, and LinkedIn (despite the imperfections) is THE successful professional network.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    I can just see MS changing LinkedIn premium membership red X to accept.

LOL. That's what I was linking, "Want to Upgrade Now?" Yes or yes.

The big question I have is Why? If you own a company worth billions of dollars, why on earth would you want to sell out to another company and still work there? I can see cashing out, but to sell it, stay there and get told how to run your company on a day to day bases? You can only reasonably spent so many billions of dollars, if I was that wealthy, I would value my independence more than a couple of extra billion in the bank.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I was that wealthy, I would value my independence more than a couple of extra billion in the bank.

And that is why the extremely wealthy are the extremely wealthy
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, the only way I see this being a truly useful acquisition is if Microsoft bought Salesforce.com as well. Then you would have a sales platform, a professional networking site, and a crap ton of products to sell to them.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    May the mass migration begin... but to where?
    Where is Skype now compared to before MS acquired it? In a better place?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just wish we had a hint, I'd buy some LinkedIn shares before the news. That was a huge pop yesterday, made some people rich.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I just wish we had a hint, I'd buy some LinkedIn shares before the news. That was a huge pop yesterday, made some people rich.

Twitter is next ..buy the stock now :)
    Most of the stories I have heard about LinkedIn the past year or more is that like Twitter they are having problems making money off their business model. Some articles have said they are not sure LinkedIn can create a profitable business model, I know I feel no urge to upgrade to Premium. Past several years so many startups probably start in the hopes they get bought out because so many things I use on the internet start by giving their service away and who knows how they plan to make any money.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I know I feel no urge to upgrade to Premium.

I would consider upgrading, if it was something reasonable like $20 a year, but $29.99 a month is just an insane price considering what services they are offering.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think most people dont need a premium account. It's nice to have if you're a recruiter, or looking for a job, but its always temporary. I tried the 30 day trial of the premium service and aside from deeper analytics into who viewed your profile, I dont see the need to using it all the time.
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    If Microsoft thinks they are going to make money off of me by sending me targeted ads based on my linkedin, they are going to be very disappointed. I never had a premium account and never will.