eJPT

Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is this certification worthwhile doing after security+? And would it hold any weight with recruiters etc?

I am aware eJPT is completely different from Security+ and all hands on.

Comments

• alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know that it holds any weight with recruiters but it is a worthwhile certification as you will learn a few things.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is definitely worth going for - especially if you don't have any background experience. It is a very good introductory course and the exam does a good job of testing what you learn in the course.

If you already have some experience - the PTP course may be a bit better choice. For me, it was definitely worth it to do the PTS course first. I am doing the PTP course now and the PTS provided me with a good foundation.

eJPT is not really well known yet - but the eCPPT is starting to gain recognition. It is solid training.
  • aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Been thinking about eJPT myself. Am leaning towards the lower cost option. Does anyone think the PDFs and extra lab time are worth the $100 more? I know there are some additional benefits, but those seem like the ones I'd actually use.
    I went with the elite version for two reasons: Extra lab and extra exam attempts.

I didn't come anywhere near using all the lab time. In fact, I still have 50 hours of lab time left for PTS. That being said, I would much rather have the additional lab time than end up not having enough. I ended up doing well on the labs and the material wasn't terribly difficult for me. I could see getting stuck on some of the labs and using a lot more time. I managed my lab time very well though - if I got stuck, I disconnected and stopped the lab and studied more. Then when I thought I was ready to try again - booted up the lab. If you poke around in the lab while trying to figure it out - you could use the additional lab time. I tried to be very conservative with it and succeeded in that goal. I am now doing the PTP course, and I will sometimes pop into the PTS labs to brush up on minor things (like playing with basic SQL injection) rather than burning my PTP lab time.

The exam was passed on the first attempt - but having the buffer of additional attempts if needed was worth it to me. That doesn't mean that you should be careless in your first attempt, but it does allow you the benefit of being able to fail.

Another plus on the Elite version is that there is no expiration date of the exam voucher. I believe you have 180 days to take the exam when you sign up for the full version. Elite version does not have this constraint - although to be fair, I believe most people can complete the PTS course and pass the eJPT exam within the 180 days. Again, it is just always nice to have the extra buffer if it is feasible financially. I bought the Elite PTS when they had a big discount going - so that eased the cost for me.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Most people would recognize Security+ but from my personal experience I can't recommend eJPT enough. Even as a sysadmin, eJPT offers a lot of value, you get to play with tools like nmap, nessus, metasploit, and u get to find and exploit XSS, SQL injections etc! it's an excellent way to be introduced to Pentesting and your foundation will improve heaps. Security+ is good if you like reading books/theory...important but it bored me to death.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    alias454 wrote: »
    I don't know that it holds any weight with recruiters but it is a worthwhile certification as you will learn a few things.

This. This is important, and seems to get lost a bit here. As a professional, it is up to you to develop your skills and knowledge and to be able to explain to others how these skills and knowledge are a benefit.

So you study eJPT. What does that give you? Deeper insight into how hackers attack, deeper understanding of potential vulnerabilities, a greater appreciation of potential risks, some insight into how to harden devices against attack. How might that be of benefit to an organisation? "I can help find weaknesses in your current IT infrastructure, and fix them. I can communicate better with external testing, assurance and auditing organisations about our IT infrastructure and risks. I can lower risk to business, potentially saving many many monies".

Even without the certification being known, if you can demonstrate a value to the organisation, then that generally translates to more money, bigger office, kudos, free trinkets, better grade of coffee or whatever else floats your particular boat.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of doing the eJPT and i know it's gaining traction across the globe etc but still doesn't get any hits on the job boards but im thinking of doing the ceh just for that very reason but do the eJPT for the practical side

Do you think that's a good idea? or just do the or sscp or cissp and then maybe do the others later down the line currently a Info Sec Officer and have 6+ years in info sec and IT overall about 13
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Wayne: If you wanna learn something do eJPT. If you want more love from HR, then CEH.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

If I had the two choices, I would pick eJPT every time. The CEH may get you love from some of HR, but I think when it comes to red teams it isn't quite as highly regarded.

I would rather have some hands on from eJPT and be able to actually demonstrate some ability in an interview rather than having memorized every possible nmap switch.
    Cheers guys great input! Yeah i totally agree i think the eJPT is a great course + the fact it's coming out of my own pocket too so want value for money!
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is my opinion....

CEH - Really not worth it, gets love from recruiters because its listed on job descriptions.... HR just knows its a cert. As far as the knowledge goes its a test and really does not teach you about hacking and network intrusion/threat analysis. People in Infosec look down on this cert.... DoD likes it

eJPT - Not well known... reputable courses.... hands on experience, learn a lot.. will set you up to take OSCP or another infosec cert. Not looked down upon by your peers....

Based on that either way you go its up to you....But it is better not to be "tainted" by EC Council then to allow them to "taint" you with their funk.... :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    If I had the two choices, I would pick eJPT every time. The CEH may get you love from some of HR, but I think when it comes to red teams it isn't quite as highly regarded.

I would rather have some hands on from eJPT and be able to actually demonstrate some ability in an interview rather than having memorized every possible nmap switch.

Right.... I fully agree. That is how I learn actually. I learn better when I can take notes and "Learn by doing". Anyone can pass a test and become certified. But how many people can actually APPLY that knowledge to their jobs and work lives. When you learn "hands on" you can not only remember the material but it stays with you longer.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Thing is with the CEH the company hiring obviously put it on the advert so it's not just HR but i'm a very hands on person (in most things icon_wink.gif so ejpt would be a good stepping stone to either the OSCP or CREST which is big here in the UK
    Is the eJPT price going up at the end of the month ? It says the current price is valid until the 30th