Passed GCIH

josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
Took the GCIH today even though I didn't feel fully prepared. I started a new term in WGU last week and couldn't juggle them both so I bit the bullet.

I only scored a 78, but I passed and I couldn't be more happy.

I was fortunate enough to do work study @ pentest Austin and it was amazing.

Afterwards my studying wasn't as consistent as id have liked due to ... Life, but it worked out.

I didn't use any of the additional resources, just the books to build my index, and both practice exams.

IMO the exam was a lot tougher than the practice exams, and I encountered a few things that weren't explicitly covered in the book or had ambiguous answers.

All in all it was a really satisfying experience, and a great introduction to SANS

I should be finished with WGU in the next few months and will decide between OSCP and GPEN

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't use any of the additional resources, just the books to build my index, and both practice exams.

Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what were you practice test scores? I'm always interested in hearing how people scored on the practice exams to help me gauge weather the exam is harder or easier then the practice tests.

It's funny almost every post here recently is about the GCIH, it must be the "IN" cert to get.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what were you practice test scores? I'm always interested in hearing how people scored on the practice exams to help me gauge weather the exam is harder or easier then the practice tests.

It's funny almost every post here recently is about the GCIH, it must be the "IN" cert to get.

Thank you. I took the first exam "cold" with no books or index just as a barometer, and I scored a 64. Then after building my index I took the second one and scored an 85.

GCIH does seem to be en vogue, but for me it was because GSEC felt too introductory considering I have my CISSP and have worked in infosec for a while. Also my current work environment is a CSIRT so it felt logical.
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Meant to say GSEC felt to introductory AND GPEN too advanced. Seemed like a good, useful middle ground
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thank you. I took the first exam "cold" with no books or index just as a barometer, and I scored a 64. Then after building my index I took the second one and scored an 85.

Wow, they are pretty big swings in scores, from a 64, to 85, to 78. from what I've seen other users report, usually the scores are a lot closer together and generally higher after each test.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework