Passed RHCSA!

I just got email from Red Hat with my score for the RHCSA exam I took yesterday. I passed the exam! icon_cheers.gif
I used Sander van Vugt's guide, videos on Linux Academy and precious guides from CertDepot to prepare for the exam. I labbed A LOT, did not just stay with lab enviroment that Linux Academy offers but also a setup within VirtualBox on my PC.
As is customary, I will answer any questions as long as I am not violating the NDA.

Comments

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    EDIT: I recently got Red Hat subscription for their desktop support, just to be able to access their Knowledge Base and that also helped me pass.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    YESSSSSSS!!!! I can't wait to join you and be a part of the Red Hat community.

Questions......

Were there a lot of commands or a mix of general stuff???
    How much time did you have to complete the test and were you given any break periods?
    What can you bring into the exam room with you?
    Are you allowed to have pen and paper to jot down commands that you know?
    did you get stuck during any part of the test? if so was it during the beginning, middle or end?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    Congrats varelg!
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    YESSSSSSS!!!! I can't wait to join you and be a part of the Red Hat community.

Questions......

Were there a lot of commands or a mix of general stuff???
    How much time did you have to complete the test and were you given any break periods?
    What can you bring into the exam room with you?
    Are you allowed to have pen and paper to jot down commands that you know?
    did you get stuck during any part of the test? if so was it during the beginning, middle or end?
    The exam is 150 minutes. You can take breaks, but you need to let the proctor know.
    You can't bring anything beyond your ID (if taken at a kiosk). No drinks/food/etc. In person, drinks/food/etc is at the proctors discretion.
    If it's an in person proctor, they will often let you have a scratch seat of paper; however you must leave the paper after the exam. Can't take it with you. Kiosk desktop must remain completely clear.
    There isn't really a beginning, middle, or end; unless one step is a prereq for another, you can complete the tasks in any order you see fit.
    Thank you ITSpectre, you will.
    As for your questions, I don't know what you mean by "general stuff", there's a list of tasks that you have to accomplish, issue commands, there's no theory.
    It's 2 and a half hours, no breaks and pen and paper will be provided for you. You can only bring your ID and beverage (compliments of the testing center) with you and nothing else. I took the classroom exam so I was sitting with other candidates in the same room, it may be appealing- you meet other people and hang out, but now I'd rather take kiosk, presence of other people can be distracting when you are super focused on the tasks.
    Yes, I had few mental stops, it helps when you look away from the screen for a minute and then you suddenly remember how to do the task.
    Thank you, wolfinsheepsclothing.
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    congrats and well done ... what next?
  • prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Varelg! going for RHCE? do you work with just Linux daily?
    Thank you guys! Next? It may be a CoE (Diagnose and Troubleshoot Linux), not heading straight for RHCE.
    My work isn't Linux-only. Currently.
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! I hope to join you someday.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! ��
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    Thank you guys and to those who intend to sit the exam in the future, good luck.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I know you've been planning on taking this for a while now and I'm glad to see that you have finally achieved your goal.

Congratulations and welcome to the club!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! That's one hell of a test to pass, knowing all those linux commands.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Great shot kid! That was one in a million!!!

Congrads.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Very cool.
    Thank you guys, may you also succeed in your pursuits!
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I see I got here late. Congrats! Can't wait to join the rank soon.

Probably a dumb question. Is the exam fee $400 or do we have to pay tax on that too? I'm asking because I'm trying to get my employer to reimburse the exact cost.
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157

Probably a dumb question. Is the exam fee $400 or do we have to pay tax on that too? I'm asking because I'm trying to get my employer to reimburse the exact cost.

Think it varies by region. In my region Europe it is without additional tax
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    varelg wrote: »
    Thank you guys, may you also succeed in your pursuits!

@Varelg, do you mind writing up what you can of your exam experience (the facility and kiosk machine, if that is the route you took)? I was wondering if it was what I experienced...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162

It was $400 on the dot, no tax in California; I paid for it through Red Hat and then scheduled the exam through Innovative Exams (they provided the kiosk/proctor).
    I don't remember paying tax when I paid for the exam. I just now went back to my credit card statements to confirm this. No tax.
    Exam experience- I took the classroom exam. You'll get to meet people that attended the class without paying for the class. Instructor is there before the exam to give everyone a memory jog. That's a great way to get yourself into exam- taking zone. Instructor is also there to answer any questions/solve problems regarding administration of the exam. If it's your first time taking RH exam, I'd recommend classroom exam. Great experience, overall.
    That being said, two-and-a-half hours of sitting with other people when I am totally focused on the task would be my absolute limit of tolerance. I can't imagine taking a 4-hour exam (that's about the length of other RH exams) in a classroom with other people. There's another limitation of classroom exams and that is it's always going to be Friday. It can't be any other day of the week. You can take kiosk however any day of the week.
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□