GCIA Analyst being coaxed into taking the CEH by my company

TheZeroBladeTheZeroBlade Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any advice? All I hear about is how easy it is and How it should be a walk in the park for someone who passed the GCIA. Is it really that big of a difference between the CEH and the GCIA?

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't taken the GCIA, so I can't give a comparison. But the CEH is definitely easy.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's a very straightforward test. I thought there were a few trick questions, but it wasn't really a trick... I think it was just really bad English.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Please don't become "tainted" by the CEH... :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Tell whoever is telling you to take the CEH to give me a call. I'll set them straight.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah Cyberguypr has a special love for CEH I think he's like on the EC Council Board.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's an easy test, but it is a different set of information. You should know the material on attacks, but I have worked with a LOT of analysts who can read a packet but can't explain a SQL injection attack, much less find one in the traffic or even validate it if there's a SIEM alert. Don't even think of asking these guys what XSS is.

Assuming you know how to read traffic and know about the various attacks covered in CEH the test will be no problem. The test itself is garbage, some of the training material is decent. I don't think memorization of what every switch for every tool under the sun does is a good test question, but the material on attack methods and walking through how to conduct them would be beneficial to you, especially if you do it on your own and capture the data to analyze later.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If they're paying for it, just knock it out and be done.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took a practice exam for the GSEC, and it was tough, if it is anything like the a real GIAC exam, then CEH shouldn't be too difficult. It is pretty straight forward, all multiple choice, no simulations like the CASP (that was a tough test) I would definitely prepare with a book though. Good luck.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't listen to anyone else if work want you to take it then go for it! One mans rubbish is another mans treasure so others may discredit the cert but for others it's opened up doors
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they are paying for it sure go ahead and take the test. It aint your money! :)
  • TheZeroBladeTheZeroBlade Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wish I could, my boss is definitely the Management type not so much the technical type. I think that is why he's pushing me to do it. I'm atleast going to make them buy me the Ipad version so I get something useful out of it, lol.