Passed CCIE Security Written!

nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
I sat the CCIE written exam today, ended up with a 870 out of 820, very pleased!

For studying I watched/reviewed all of the IPexpert Security Written videos, went through INE's Advanced technologies video set (the 70 hour one) and I am also near the end of the Zero to Hero Security boot camp run by Narbik!

I was motivated to study and pass before 4.1 hit, though the emerging technologies intrigued me, I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait that long.

All in all, I do not like the old tech, thankfully there weren't a ton of older IPS questions. I ended up with an 80% or greater in every section except for security products, features, and management.

They also had some non-cisco related questions on there. Regulatory and Certification questions I saw more than I expected (don't want to go into great detail about the exam) but all in all, I'm ready to conquer the lab!

I'm taking Narbik's bootcamp in September so I'm hoping for a November lab date in San Jose.
Bachelor of Science, IT Security
Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)

Comments

• TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Congrats.
    Did you bypass the CCNP on your way to the written?
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I did bypass the CCNP. I started on the CCNP but I saw the bootcamp run by Narbik and decided to skip it and go straight for the CCIE

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice! Congratulations!!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats and good luck on the lab!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice. Mine is scheduled soon!
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • fumanchufumanchu Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Nelson8403.
    Does the 'zero to hero' prepare a CCNA(Sec) for CCIE(Sec)?

Thanks
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, I've been toying around with the idea of skipping CNNP and going straight for the IE myself. Doesn't mean I won't read the NP material, just going to bypass the exams. Glad to know that it's feasible.
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, and yes I'd say so fumanchu. I believe the minimum requirement is CCNA (RS) for the class. It is a massive deep dive into configuration (you get 4 months of lab time free with the class) of all tools, VPN configurations, troubleshooting, tasks to be performed each week. It was extremely useful towards kind of accelerating the CCIE studying (I studied for about a year and a half, on and off, but crammed the last 4 months once this class started and shortly before)

The zero-to-hero won't take you completely there, but with some of the other training programs you can get there. They say it'll get you to around 80% to CCIE Security level, IPExpert and INE I think helped pushed me to that ~90% and reading some of the books around CCIE Security + work experience helped me pass.