70-410 passed!

tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well I thought I would never post this but I passed this monster of an exam. My exam was still lower than expected but still a pass--713.

I had a hard time with this one due to coming from CompTIA exams. These exams I could skim a book and watch a video series and everything made sense. I never failed once, until this exam.

This is my fourth attempt, which is hard to admit. I used multiple books, watched CBT and PluralSight, did little labbing/level 1/2 work experience and took the MeasureUp practice test. I would say Don's Cert Guide was the best book.

My tips are to know your Powershell commands, AD commands/utilities, and use a practice test to find weaknesses.
2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+

Comments

• tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, congratulations, that's a tough exam! It's funny you mention having a hard time with it due to taking the CompTIA exams first because I found having done the CompTIA exams first to be very helpful in preparing for the 410. Everyone learns differently though. Good luck on the rest of your MCSA/E exams!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! And yes, funny about the Comptia, I just did something similar, only in reverse. I completed the 410 and 411 back in the winter (don't worry about the mark, a pass is a pass! I got 700 on the 410 first try and was overjoyed), took a couple weeks off and then started studying for Mobility+, my first comptia exam since 2008. I read two books, tried a couple of practice questions and came out with 886 just last Tuesday, a far cry from the intense study and note taking for the MCSA.
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, congratulations, that's a tough exam! It's funny you mention having a hard time with it due to taking the CompTIA exams first because I found having done the CompTIA exams first to be very helpful in preparing for the 410. Everyone learns differently though. Good luck on the rest of your MCSA/E exams!

Well this is true too, the information I learned from CompTIA exams was helpful, I just meant my studying habits and exam expectations were far off coming from CompTIA.
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well this is true too, the information I learned from CompTIA exams was helpful, I just meant my studying habits and exam expectations were far off coming from CompTIA.

Oh yeah, definitely! All of my CompTIA exams I took I only had to read one book and go through the practice exam questions that usually came on the CD with the books and was able to pass them on first try. Not that I don't think the CompTIA exams should be dismissed as being too easy because they're difficult especially for people without experience but since they are vendor neutral they don't really dive too deeply into having to know how to configure a specific technology whereas the MS exams expect you to know how the technology works AND how to configure it with their OS. Labbing is pretty much mandatory for passing the MS exams.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, wait until you hit the 411! It's a beast, but you know what you're in store for, and you seem persistent, so you'll get it no doubt. My tips on the 411: 1. LAB, LAB, LAB and 2. You're right about knowing your Powershell commands and AD commands/utilities, but for the 411 throw Remote Access Services and Microsoft's version of VPN. I know it's in use in like 2% of businesses, but it's on the test!

Congratulations, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, wait until you hit the 411! It's a beast, but you know what you're in store for, and you seem persistent, so you'll get it no doubt. My tips on the 411: 1. LAB, LAB, LAB and 2. You're right about knowing your Powershell commands and AD commands/utilities, but for the 411 throw Remote Access Services and Microsoft's version of VPN. I know it's in use in like 2% of businesses, but it's on the test!

Congratulations, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

icon_thumright.gif

Thanks for the advice! I am starting my 411 studies now.
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass. I too got the mere score of 730 on this one. Tough one though.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job on passing the exam. I'm looking forward to mine very soon
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • USr1deMCUSr1deMC Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! I'm just jumping in. It's been a while since exams, I've been in school trying to finish up my BS in CIT. Took a break but an opportunity opened up at work to get a promotion so I am hoping to study to get my MCSA then the MCSE.