Options

eJPt or Linux+ or something else?

RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently acquired my A+ and Network+ in the last couple of months and I sit for the Security+ exam next week. I am addicted to certifications at this point and I pretty much have a long list that I want to get. I have paid for the Windows 10 MCSA but one of the exams is still in beta so I am going to do something in the meantime before I tackle them.

I am thinking either the eJPT or Linux+.

My Linux skills are pretty basic but I do have some programming background in C\C++.

I currently work as Level 1 Help Desk Support (as of a week ago) making less then what should be legally allowed but I took the job for experience. I really love the security aspects of IT so this is where I want to focus on. My dream right now is to get a job as like a "Security Analyst" or something similar, with maybe the longer term goal of doing pentesting.

I want to acquire knowledge and certifications in areas that will help me short term, but also help me towards my longer term goals as well.

I think Linux+ or eJPT for the next couple of months. But I feel like I am missing something I should be doing before I get into all of this.

A CCNA? MCSA Windows Server? Some other security related certification I am missing?

I don't make a lot of money so I cant afford SANS training, but I am willing to spend every last dime I have to getting me somewhere closer to where I want to be.
2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start with your Sec+ then go from there. I would skip the Linux+ since you already have a foundation in Linux and go for the RHCSA (RedHat) certification. After your Sec+ I would look at the OCSP or the eJPT after that.... CEH is not that great to be honest.... and its good you know a programming language. Do you know what part of infosec you want to get into?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    The Redhat training is crazy expensive and I am worried that if I use something like the LinuxAcademy it might not fully prepare me for the exam. The Linux+/LPDIC has more resources available and I feel like I could finish it quicker (even if its not as prestigious).

I have heard too many bad things about ECCouncil and too many good things about Offensive Security, eLearnSecurity, and SecurityTube.

I absolutely want to do the OSCP but, it's expensive and intimidating. I would do the eJPT before either the ECPPT or the OSCP (I think that's what you meant).

I think every aspect of InfoSec is cool. The coolest job and skills people have is doing red team, blue team type of stuff.

And like I said, I work in a Level 1 helpdesk as of 1 week ago. I've held IT certifications for a few months. I was just a guy who decided to go from video game addict and manual laborer, to IT. I self taught myself C/C++ casually as a hobby but never did it professionally. I know when I get the chance I'm going to take SecurityTube's Assembly, Python, and Powershell classes to expand my coding and scripting experience.

If I can get any kind of entry position in InfoSec in the next year or two, I would be in heaven.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well actually you can get a Linux+ book and learn it but not sit for the exam. Read some of the RHCSA threads to see what people used.... the majority of the people that passed the RHCSA did not do the training class.... they just used linux academy and the RHCSA book.
    People that also took Linux+ used Linux academy. The main difference between RHCSA and Linux+ is just the name.... Linux is all the same.... just with Linux+ you are learning 3 different versions of linux at the same time....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Given the choices, go for Linux+ over eJPT. You'll need to know and use Linux heavily in almost all security positions. Even the eJPT course will require you to be able to use Linux at a decent level.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agreed with BlackBeret, learn Linux and LEARN IT WELL. I didn't and it's biting me in the rear at the moment. So now I am going back and learning it. At an absolute minimum, get Sybex Linux+ book and read it through, study like you're going to take the Linux+, but skip the actual cert. The ROI just isn't there.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have a good foundation to start with Network + and Security+ If you want to be a security analyst I would say Linux+ and then maybe OSCP.
    Im a Security analyst now and alot of security appliances are linux based. The worlds most known pentesting OS is linux based so know ing how to rock that would be cool. After you get your Sec+ start looking for security jobs no matter how low or high they just apply
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    Im a bit tired of CompTIA test format so I think im going to just sign up for either the RHCSA or the Linux Foundation certification which both seem to be more practical and see how I do. Thanks for the suggestions.

The question now is LinuxAcademy and a good book, or the Linux Foundation course's and a good book.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm not a fan of Linux+

go eJPT, and learn Linux on the way.

Facing a problem with Linux while doing eJPT? Google it, learn, document it. You don't need a Linux certification to learn Linux, and definitely not the Linux+
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Linux+

go eJPT, and learn Linux on the way.

Facing a problem with Linux while doing eJPT? Google it, learn, document it. You don't need a Linux certification to learn Linux, and definitely not the Linux+

True you don't need a Linux certification to know Linux but I am looking to improve my resume and skills. I know some Linux already, I've been using it for years casually off and on. I just never applied myself to learn things outside of the basics. So if I was going to spend months on improving something, would it be Linux or my InfoSec skills?

It was probably a dumb thread anyways since I'm going to do both eventually and "RHCSA" Linux skills was never listed as a prerequisite for the eJPT so I'm not sure why I thought the order would matter. I make posts to hear myself type sometimes.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Depends...do you wanna work as in InfoSec? If yes then eJPT.

Do you wanna be a Linux sysadmin or work with cloud sysops etc?? Then RHCSA is the priority, then eJPT.

I do not recommend Linux+ to anyone, but that's my personal opinion. If you wanna do a cert a learn something about Linux, go with RHCSA.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com