IT And Video Games

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was having a debate with a friend of mine the other day and he was trying to tell me that video games have NOTHING to do with IT.... I proceeded to show him Rockstar Games, Lionhead, Bethesda etc... and how you NEED coding and scripting skills to develop games. Video games are part of IT, it is a different world but its part of developing and you have to know the languages plus there is a lot of money to be made in video gaming....

On to my post

Video Games, Graphic Design, Coding etc... are not going away. I play video games more then I should (when im off) But have you ever wanted to get into video game design and work for companies like Rockstar Games, Bethesda, Lionhead Studios etc... I have some cool ideas for some video games myself but I do not think I would want to develop them because there is a lot of trails and when the game is finished you don't even want to play it. What amazes me is seeing how real video games have become... we came from Sega Genesis and Nintendo (I never had an atari so I missed out!!!!!) now we have Sony PS4 and XboxOne. With video games the only limitation is your imagination and it allows you to be creative and use your IT knowledge to create a whole world to explore.

What type of games do you all like to play (in your spare time of course)

Me I like to play: Mass effect, Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas, Bioshock, GTAV, Duke Nukem, Sonic the hedgehog, street fighter V.
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Networking and Server administration is a part of video gaming as well. My interest in IT was sparked when I started playing Age of Empires in my electronics class in high school.

I like to play Mass Effect and Fallout also, currently looking forward to No Man's Sky and the new Deus Ex.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exactly... You need networking and server admin to work in video games too. They store info for the games on Servers!!!!! They push the updates to the servers and then you connect to a server to play online with other people.....

I used to play World of Warcraft before it went to the 3D version.... back when you had to make the troops and then gather them and send them to battle.... I used to play WoW before they released mists of pandaria but im thinking of going back just to trololollll low level people.....:D
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Um you need all facets of IT for gaming. Coding, database, networking, security, storage. What is it your friend is implying? Games just exist in a magical world where nothing matters?
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    Um you need all facets of IT for gaming. Coding, database, networking, security, storage. What is it your friend is implying? Games just exist in a magical world where nothing matters?

My friend was implying that Video Games and IT are two different things..... which they are the same thing. Video games are PART of IT/Computers/Technology.

When my Friend thinks of IT he thinks of like a Help Desk guy or a Networking person
    When he thinks of video games he kinda plays into the stereotype that all you need is graphic design and internet to make video games.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
  • EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    I don't doubt that developing and supporting video games requires at least as much skill as any other kind of software. The maths and physics knowledge required for the development of some games must be pretty spectacular.

That said, as someone who develops non-game software, I took a decision to stop playing video games 25 years ago. I felt I was spending too much time playing them, which could have been spent doing something more "productive", such as trying out new coding techniques or learning a new language (programming or natural), which I enjoy a lot as well.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    They can definitely be time sinks.