how to become CCNP certified?

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
the CCNP is four test right? so do i start? can i take any of the tests or do have to take them in a certain order. if so then which test am i supposed to take first?
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It used to be easy -- take the CIT exam last. The old composite exam combined the BSCI/BCMSN exams into one monster exam -- so it was(is) 4 exams, with an option to take the composite exam and get the CCNP with 3 exams. There is still that option.

But with the changes to the CCNP, things are kind of interesting now. Do you Mix 'n Match? Do you try to beat the deadline to register for the old exams? Do you wait for the new self-study material to be published?

Follow the CCNP link to see what your options are.

There is a new CCNP prep center now That's got lots of good information.

Found the CCNP Change Announcement -- and the CCNP Prep Center Link is in there.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    It used to be easy -- take the CIT exam last. The old composite exam combined the BSCI/BCMSN exams into one monster exam -- so it was(is) 4 exams, with an option to take the composite exam and get the CCNP with 3 exams. There is still that option.

But with the changes to the CCNP, things are kind of interesting now. Do you Mix 'n Match? Do you try to beat the deadline to register for the old exams? Do you wait for the new self-study material to be published?

Follow the CCNP link to see what your options are.

There is a new CCNP prep center now That's got lots of good information.

Found the CCNP Change Announcement -- and the CCNP Prep Center Link is in there.

so Cisco updated the CCNP already in August! I am assuming you can take any of the exams in which ever order.

Is a monster exam when they combine the BSCI/BCMSN? How many questions??

Looks like Im going with the 4 test route.
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    so Cisco updated the CCNP already in August! I am assuming you can take any of the exams in which ever order.
    You could always take the exams in any order -- but people had their favorite sequence. Like I said, CIT was the obvious last exam -- but I know someone who's attempted it as their 2nd CCNP exam (not sure if they did their 2nd attempt at it yet). I always thought the numeric order of the old exams made sense (even though I started with BCRAN).
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    From the old 642-891 exam link: 120 minutes (80-90 questions)
    And from the other old exam links (since the new exams only say 90 minutes):
    BSCI 642-801: 75-90 minutes (60-70 questions)
    BCMSN 642-811: 75-90 minutes (60-70 questions)

You do save a little money by taking the Composite Exam. It's $187.50USD vs 2x$125USD. But you have to weigh that against the amount of material you'd need to learn for the one exam. I looked at the 6 Cisco Press books I had for the 2 exams (and the Sybex CCNP Complete Study Guide) and the interruptions I was facing at work and home -- and decided to do the individual exams rather than the composite exam (which was my original plan).

I'm not sure if they split the composite into sections. I think I remember reading somewhere that you had to pass both sections to pass the exam. So passing one part and failing the other didn't get you any credit towards the CCNP (or recertification).
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I would start with BCMSN first, but thats my opinion :)
    Now working full time!
    mikej412 wrote:
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    You could always take the exams in any order -- but people had their favorite sequence. Like I said, CIT was the obvious last exam -- but I know someone who's attempted it as their 2nd CCNP exam (not sure if they did their 2nd attempt at it yet). I always thought the numeric order of the old exams made sense (even though I started with BCRAN).
    x_Danny_x wrote:
    From the old 642-891 exam link: 120 minutes (80-90 questions)
    And from the other old exam links (since the new exams only say 90 minutes):
    BSCI 642-801: 75-90 minutes (60-70 questions)
    BCMSN 642-811: 75-90 minutes (60-70 questions)

You do save a little money by taking the Composite Exam. It's $187.50USD vs 2x$125USD. But you have to weigh that against the amount of material you'd need to learn for the one exam. I looked at the 6 Cisco Press books I had for the 2 exams (and the Sybex CCNP Complete Study Guide) and the interruptions I was facing at work and home -- and decided to do the individual exams rather than the composite exam (which was my original plan).

I'm not sure if they split the composite into sections. I think I remember reading somewhere that you had to pass both sections to pass the exam. So passing one part and failing the other didn't get you any credit towards the CCNP (or recertification).

wow, more questions and less time! and with harder material to learn when compared to CCNA.

looks like some sleepness nights for me!

Say is the CCSP the same way? Which is easier?? I should first do CCNP and then CCSP or can one of them be good to impress employers?

Also is CBTNUGGETS a good source for this??
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Do the CCNP first so that you have a solid foundation of R&S then go into security. CBT nuggets are good, but I personally prefer TrainSignal training videos above all else (as far as vid's go).
    never heard of them. where can i get my hands on those videos?
    If everyone calls them the trainsignal videos -- why is their ad (usually on the left margin) for Fastrack Video Labs?

http://www.trainsignal.com/index.html?mcode=TE-B-lforum
    With this link it looks like TechExams gets "credit" for the referal.

The Cisco Videos link down the page is the link in MrD's post
    I have a concerning question, will the old exams still be compatible with the new exams? If i take 642-801 and 811 will they be compatible with ONT and the other one next year???
    Now working full time!
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Cool; I'll keep that in mind Mike; yes, modem they will be.
    I read that now MrD...Anyone looking for TrainSignal CCNP videos they are now 25% off which around $50.00 savings on there videos which are $200.
    Now working full time!
  • thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
    when is the last day to register for the old exams ?
    Switches are bridges on steroids!
    12/31
    Now working full time!
  • KwingKwing Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    when is the last day to register for the old exams ?

Last day to register is 11/15. Last day to take is 12/31.
    Kwing wrote:
    Last day to register is 11/15. Last day to take is 12/31.
    That's what I thought I saw, but I can't find an announcement that says that. That's how the CCSP changes worked, but for those they published the last day to register dates, and the last day to actually take the exams was 6 weeks later (for Prometric). For the CCNP they are publishing the last day to take the exam.....

If you want to take the old exams -- don't let that 11/15 date pass without getting a confirmation about the registration date.
    **** I guess I better book my BSCI before the 15th!!!!
    Now working full time!
  • Dilan77Dilan77 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've heard people mention the November 15 date as the last date to register, with the last date to test being end of Dec, but haven't seen the November date published anywhere?

Here is the question i sent to Prometric;

Exam Name or Number: 642-811 BCMSN

>>Questions or Comments: I am wishing to take the Cisco 642-811 Building Cisco
    Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN) exam. This exam will be retired at the end
    of the year, and the last testing date is 31st Dec 2006. Can you please confirm
    the last date I can book an exam? Can I still book an exam with 24hrs notice
    right up until the 31.12.06? I have heard that although 31.12.06 is the last
    date to take the exam, the last date to book the exam is sometime in November.
    Please confirm<<

and their response...

>>Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your email.

The last day to book the exam is the 31st of December 2006 through us but only
    if you have a voucher or through the testingcenter directly and of course there
    has to be a seat available at the testing center where you want to take the
    exam.

If you wait till the last minute to book the exam you will be taking a great
    risk that every testing center is fully booked.

My advise to you is to book the exam as soon possible just to be sure you won't
    be in any problem having a seat or the wanted date.

I hoped to have informed you well.<<

I've sent them a follow-up mail, stating that I don't have a voucher and usually book exams online...and just asking for confirmation that I could book an exam after the 15th November, for say thr 1st December.
  • Dilan77Dilan77 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    However, this link

http://www.learningit.com/cisco/CCNP%20Revision%2006.asp

and a couple of others, state that the last date to register is, indeed, the 15th November. icon_confused.gif

Better to be safe than sorry though I guess.
    man is the newer exam harder than the old ones??? or are they just going to change it around??

looks like im not going to make it cause i want to get a better job first.