How to pick the right course

evopilotevopilot Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. I want to start doing proper pen testing ie. get certified but i am unsure what a baseline for my knowledge is. The ultimate goal is OSCP but i dont want to put that much money to it unless i feel id be almost ready. Would people recommend doing pre-made labs like vulnhub's to see your ability prior to making the decision about eJPT or OSCP?

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What certs do you have currently? Do you have any experience in the infosec field? What are you currently doing now for work? Are you on a help desk or a sys admin? We need some background info to really give you advice.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • evopilotevopilot Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    apologies i should have included that information

i am currently on the final year of my degree in college doing cyber security, my thought process was that during the summer i could add some certificates

I am currently working in an IT company doing 3rd level support
  • RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think for pentesting it seems to come down to ejpt, ecppt, gpen, oscp, and osce.

In that order from easiest to most difficult. There are others but these are the ones I hear the most about (at least on techexams).

Check out their syllabus's/prerequisites and asses where you think you fit in.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would start with Sec+ followed by Linux academy.... (to learn linux). also you can then learn python and take the eJPT and go from there.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • evopilotevopilot Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    loving the ejpt course so far :D
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm glad that you're loving the course. It's really fun :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****