Passed CCNA!

TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
Wooticon_cheers.gif

My only concern is that the camera wasn't working so the proctor took a pic with his phone and said he'd email to himself... is that a normal thing?

Worried he won't and that cisco will say no way to prove I took it, come retake it...

Anyone ever had a similar experience? I am debating about calling the testing center to remind him.

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if it is bothering you, give them a call. Never hurts to get peace of mind.

What are they taking a picture of? if it is of the computer screen, you'd have thought they've heard of a screen shot. They could have printed you out a copy to take home.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, they take a picture of the candidate and compare it when taking future exams to make sure you are still the person you were...at least with me they did.

Funny story...I wore the same shirt to two different Cisco exams that were over two years apart. :)
  • TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    Yeah they take your picture to make sure you aren't paying someone else to take it for you. Although you'd you think the drivers license would be a giveaway.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Congrats. That's weird about the camera phone.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

That is an odd issue with the camera thing, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wouldn't think that would cause too much of a problem.
    Thanks! Photo worked out, I tracked it on their website its all official!

Now the hard part, getting the first job in networking.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Techytach wrote: »
    Thanks! Photo worked out, I tracked it on their website its all official!

Now the hard part, getting the first job in networking.

Should be easy to get helpdesk with a CCNA. But yeah, an actual networking job may be a challenge to find.
    Should be easy to get helpdesk with a CCNA. But yeah, an actual networking job may be a challenge to find.
    I have a 4 year degree, and 1 year experience with equipment as well, hoping its not too bad.
    Techytach wrote: »
    I have a 4 year degree, and 1 year experience with equipment as well, hoping its not too bad.

I'm in a similar situation, except my experience is a bit old. Wasn't able to find anything with my CCENT, but hoping the CCNA will help make a difference.
    I'm in a similar situation, except my experience is a bit old. Wasn't able to find anything with my CCENT, but hoping the CCNA will help make a difference.
    Here's hoping for both of us. I have a feeling location will be the biggest factor.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Congrats!!! Can't imagine that would cause an issue.
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. What's Next ?
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Congrats. What's Next ?
    CCNP or more likely broaden my base (and then do CCNP in a few years), python, linux, mysql, etc. Depends what my next job is like. I am thinking of trying to head toward security but don't think I'll bother with the basic sec+ Still trying to figure out what niche I enjoy. Haven't explored VMware for instance and I know some people really enjoy that. I'm not married nor plan to have kids, so am looking for happiness over a paycheck.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! How long did it take you to train for the CCNA?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats! How long did it take you to train for the CCNA?

About 8 months for CCENT, took a month off, then 1 month for CCNA. Really I studied for both in the first 8 months I just kind of procrastinated on taking the tests thinking I would never be ready. Maybe add a month for winter, and I suppose I didn't ever full stop studying even on my break, so maybe 10 months? Plus before I truly started I was already learning subnetting and some of those concepts that trip up new people. So it kinda depends how you want to measure it. 1 month if I'm bragging :D more like 1 year realistically.

I did the netacad thing at my CC, and while it wasn't the best, it was good for keeping me on track and keeping me motivated. And there were probably a few concepts I'm forgetting where having a live teacher really helped. I was going to say it was good for the labbing/equipment. But you could instead take that ~1200$ and make an awesome private lab of your own. Welp I have the credits if I decide to get another degree at least.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • richypcrichypc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed ccna and ccna security 2yrs ago and still had a hard time getting out of help desk and into a network spot.

If your forced into a helpdesk role set a time-table on how long you will do help desk before going into networking. For example, 6 months or 1 yr doing help desk while you looking weekly for a jr network engineer position.

If anything I would consider taking a jr network spot at places people do not want to commute to, just so you can get that 1yr experience under your belt, which is critical, companies don't want to hire you without experience.

In the end I had to take a job offer for decent pay 2 hrs away from home, I rented a small room and worked during the week and went back home on the weekends. Did this for 10 months and studied and passed my CCNP during that time. Since I had nothing to do after hours, I just poured it into studying for CCNP.

After I got back I was getting callbacks on mostly all of the mid positions I applied for. In fact I was getting bombarded, that I took my positing and resume down off of 2 websites right after landing a network spot close to home. The amount of emails I was getting were getting annoying, as well as keeping track of phone interviews, etc. Next year Ill easily qualify for some of the sr network spots, thats when the money really comes in.

The sooner you get into a network engineer role the better.
    thanks for the advice richypc.