Your company will fail

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
What is your companies biggest security short fall and how would you fix it?

-Disaster preparation and recovery

-Network and hardware vulnerabilities

-Data at rest security

-Policy and enforcement

-Operations security

-Any others that are unique to your company

Comments

• CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I was only to pick one mine would be disaster prep.

We had an incident a few weeks ago and **** hit the fan fast ha ha.

Although I could say that we have almost all of those problems listed.

...realistically we need a body that was ONLY responsible for that program. Our company uses the "security guy" term and we have to manage all the programs with a shortage of people...
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    End User Training
    Having Management fully embrace IT security seriously = usually s*** has to hit the fan hard at the top
    Cross Training other IT folks = So they know what to do for basic Level I type of stuff
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting DR case study: Cantor Fitzgerald - Forty-Seven Hours
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    dave330i wrote: »
    Interesting DR case study: Cantor Fitzgerald - Forty-Seven Hours

That is the first internet story I have actually read from start to finish in a long time

Amazing story.

Solidifies the need for planning as ONE event can take down an entire multimillion dollar company.

Great share thx
    kiki162 wrote: »
    End User Training
    Having Management fully embrace IT security seriously = usually s*** has to hit the fan hard at the top
    Cross Training other IT folks = So they know what to do for basic Level I type of stuff
    Usually I would say that insiders are where most of our threats are but after our last "event" I would say having a recovery plan THAT ACTUALLY WORKS is a must.

Because although you might lose some secrets here and there from insiders/hackers you can still operate.

So many companies just have disaster plans to check a box and only fully realize the spirit of a plan once an emergency happens.

I have seen a company have a fully certified COOP plan that was tested and all. One day they lost both primary and alternate power. Although they had tested a power outage, they only tested it for a few seconds just to see everything come up. When they actually had a full outage everything went back up as planned, but they did not plan for the length of the outage. Needless to say the UPS only held for a few minutes and died....along with a few employees careers, Gigs of data and a few network components.
  • Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I told you I'd have to kill you.

I do know that I'd be quite happy to have good asset management in place across the board and not just for important environments.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Disaster recovery.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All of the above
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think much of what you are describing falls into the basics. Here is an interesting article that discusses learning how to walk before you run https://danielmiessler.com/blog/failing-at-the-basics-in-intelligence-and-infosec/. The idea that some whiz bang device/application will somehow solve all of our troubles is a misguided one if we don't do the basics.

I think you also mentioned another key area for improvemnt within infosec or just orginizations in general. Lack of testing the plan, results in failures. There is a reason why we practice fire drills. We know that practicing the plan, saves lives when the real thing occurs.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”