Would I be out of line if I did this?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a delicate issue and I need it to be resolved urgently, in the matter of the next few days. Specifically, I thought I had another month on my lease but apparently not. My landlord wants me out by a week from this coming Sunday.

I am waiting to hear back from two different school district jobs with different districts in another area.

Job #1: the interview was about a month ago and the hiring manager told me that his goal was I would know something by the 1st of July (the end of this week). He encouraged me to email his admin assistant questions and they would get back to me. I have done so twice with no reply of yet.

Job #2: the second interview was two weeks ago. He hiring manager also encouraged me to email him questions, which I have. However he has responded both times and did tell me last week that I "was very much in consideration" and I know at the beginning of this week by the latest.

I hate to be pushy or be needy but I have the urging if I don't hear from each of them in the next 24 hours to reach out to them again and basically ask for a yes or a no. The reason why I need to know this is because if I have a yes, I can just move out and stay with my parents for a few weeks before moving again. However, if both are a no, I need to find a new place asap. I just don't want to sign a new lease without knowing one way or another.

With all of this being said, am I being reasonable or really out of line?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why can't you just move out and stay with your parents for a few weeks either way?
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you continue searching for other jobs? I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for these employers, I mean your time is valuable as well.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't be pushy. Try to find other jobs to apply for in the meantime. I also second trying to stay with your parents for a few weeks as well.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why can't you just move out and stay with your parents for a few weeks either way?
    This right here. Even if both jobs are a no, then staying with your parents for a few weeks gives you time to find another job that may also be out of your area. Once you have something firm lined up, you can then move to wherever you need.
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am sorry I forgot to mention this part: I am currently working at Walgreens full time with benefits. Besides the money and the hours, it's not a bad gig and my coworkers and managers are awesome. It's not much but it would be better than moving back home w/o a job.

With that said, I think I'm going to give Job #2 tomorrow since the hiring manager told me that I would hear from him "early this week at the latest." If I don't hear anything tomorrow, I will email him again.

If I get neither job, I will just find another place and sign another lease. On top of that I might take a 4-6 week break from applying for jobs just to give myself a vacation from all of the stress.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    I am sorry I forgot to mention this part: I am currently working at Walgreens full time with benefits. Besides the money and the hours, it's not a bad gig and my coworkers and managers are awesome. It's not much but it would be better than moving back home w/o a job.

With that said, I think I'm going to give Job #2 tomorrow since the hiring manager told me that I would hear from him "early this week at the latest." If I don't hear anything tomorrow, I will email him again.

If I get neither job, I will just find another place and sign another lease. On top of that I might take a 4-6 week break from applying for jobs just to give myself a vacation from all of the stress.

Really man? You are being kicked out, want to find a new job and you are not willing to move in with your parents but you want to go on vacation and take a break because you are stressed? wow just wow really. Where has the work ethic gone? here is what you do.
    Keep applying to jobs.
    Move back with your parents for 6 months while you save money then you move to get your own place.
    2 step plan, simple and easy. Good luck!
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly I would not move back in with your parents at all. There is no point in doing that, you currently have a full time job so you are making money. Find a room for rent in your area and move there. Now if you had NO job and no money saved I would say move in with parents. You never want to go backwards in life... only forward.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    tjb122982 wrote: »

Exactly. You already have a job. It sounds like you are trying to go from walgreens to a better job... right now money is tight because you are paid ok, but its not enough to live on. I have been there and what I did in that situation is move to a cheaper place rent a room from someone and save my money while still living on my own.....

I think its funny that people want to run back to their parents house just because things get a little tough. You have to stand on your own feet sooner or later in life.....:D
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    ITSpectre wrote: »

I think its funny that people want to run back to their parents house just because things get a little tough. You have to stand on your own feet sooner or later in life.....:D

If you make good decisions and good choices earlier in your life and your career things become easier as you progress in life. Going back to your parents or living with them a little longer is not a bad thing and certainly does not take away from being on your own and standing on your own feet. In my book, that is called sacrificing when you are younger so you do not have to sacrifice when you are older.

Young kids these day misunderstand what freedom means and what standing on your own means and certainly misunderstand what it requires to keep living and maintain a lifestyle in your adulthood. Personally, i stayed with my parents a little more than other kids do. Today I'm in my mid 30s, i have a 401K account, I have an IRA account, I have an investment account, I have 2 fully paid off cars, no student debt and I own my own apartment for which I only have 100K in mortgage and I'm also married and enjoy life. Take it as you wish, but the choice I made to stay a little longer with my parents prepared me to live the life i want without worrying about when and where the next paycheck will come and how I will pay off debts.

Think wisely when you are young, bad decisions can be fixed easier in the younger years, it gets harder once you get older.
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    If you make good decisions and good choices earlier in your life and your career things become easier as you progress in life. Going back to your parents or living with them a little longer is not a bad thing and certainly does not take away from being on your own and standing on your own feet. In my book, that is called sacrificing when you are younger so you do not have to sacrifice when you are older.

Young kids these day misunderstand what freedom means and what standing on your own means and certainly misunderstand what it requires to keep living and maintain a lifestyle in your adulthood. Personally, i stayed with my parents a little more than other kids do. Today I'm in my mid 30s, i have a 401K account, I have an IRA account, I have an investment account, I have 2 fully paid off cars, no student debt and I own my own apartment for which I only have 100K in mortgage and I'm also married and enjoy life. Take it as you wish, but the choice I made to stay a little longer with my parents prepared me to live the life i want without worrying about when and where the next paycheck will come and how I will pay off debts.

Think wisely when you are young, bad decisions can be fixed easier in the younger years, it gets harder once you get older.

Exactly. You are right. Stability is the name of the game.
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    "If you make good decisions and good choices earlier in your life and your career things become easier as you progress in life. Going back to your parents or living with them a little longer is not a bad thing and certainly does not take away from being on your own and standing on your own feet. In my book, that is called sacrificing when you are younger so you do not have to sacrifice when you are older.

Think wisely when you are young, bad decisions can be fixed easier in the younger years, it gets harder once you get older."
    Exactly. You are right. Stability is the name of the game.

ITSpectre: "I think its funny that people want to run back to their parents house just because things get a little tough. You have to stand on your own feet sooner or later in life....."

I just had to point out the immediate contradiction.

Anyways, I am agreement with TheFORCE about not being ashamed to stay with your parents longer. I am 26 and this is the second time I moved back in with them, nothing to do with lack of money, I am just really cheap and they don't care that I stay there. I have a lot less debt and more money in the bank than most of my friends who make a lot more than me, no car or motorcycle payment. Renting is for the birds, you are just burning money without gaining equity. Always be thinking years ahead, not weeks ahead.
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    "If you make good decisions and good choices earlier in your life and your career things become easier as you progress in life. Going back to your parents or living with them a little longer is not a bad thing and certainly does not take away from being on your own and standing on your own feet. In my book, that is called sacrificing when you are younger so you do not have to sacrifice when you are older.

Think wisely when you are young, bad decisions can be fixed easier in the younger years, it gets harder once you get older."

ITSpectre: "I think its funny that people want to run back to their parents house just because things get a little tough. You have to stand on your own feet sooner or later in life....."

I just had to point out the immediate contradiction.

Anyways, I am agreement with TheFORCE about not being ashamed to stay with your parents longer. I am 26 and this is the second time I moved back in with them, nothing to do with lack of money, I am just really cheap and they don't care that I stay there. I have a lot less debt and more money in the bank than most of my friends who make a lot more than me, no car or motorcycle payment. Renting is for the birds, you are just burning money without gaining equity. Always be thinking years ahead, not weeks ahead.

My opinion is the same. there is nothing wrong with going back to live with parents.... but you can also get a room for rent for 400.00 everything included. I am just not a big fan of moving back in with parents.... it depends on the parents and your relationship with them. Unlike me, you prob have a good relationship with your parents.... vs me I really dont have one at all...
    Really man? You are being kicked out, want to find a new job and you are not willing to move in with your parents but you want to go on vacation and take a break because you are stressed? wow just wow really. Where has the work ethic gone? here is what you do.
    Keep applying to jobs.
    Move back with your parents for 6 months while you save money then you move to get your own place.
    2 step plan, simple and easy. Good luck!

I see your point but I don't want to give up an good hold over job for something that might take from a few weeks to a few months to pan out. Trust me I know this from experience from working an even crappy job while I was living with my parents. I did this for several years while waiting on things to change. I would honestly be poor while living on my own and having a job while looking for a new one.
    My points is that don't put all your hopes in just 2 job opportunities or 2 interviews. Don't take a break from applying and keep at it.
    My points is that don't put all your hopes in just 2 job opportunities or 2 interviews. Don't take a break from applying and keep at it.

I'm not at all. I just don't want to go through the hassle of moving in July and then having to sublease my new place and move again in August. Now if I take a break from applying for jobs until say Labor Day and get a job right off the bat, I wouldn't have to move to around October. During that time I will get extra time to play with my pfSense box and FreeNAS server and plus set up a web server. That's the logic behind it.
    Keep applying for jobs while working... Also move into somewhere more affordable (rent a room from someone) until you can get back into an apt. It sounds like you can afford to get a room. Having A job is better then not having a job. You already have money coming in so just either sign a lease at a cheaper place, or rent a room. and Keep applying for better jobs and you will get one.
    Keep applying for jobs while working... Also move into somewhere more affordable (rent a room from someone) until you can get back into an apt. It sounds like you can afford to get a room. Having A job is better then not having a job. You already have money coming in so just either sign a lease at a cheaper place, or rent a room. and Keep applying for better jobs and you will get one.

That's the plan; it's actually plan B. I am going to start calling about looking at places and making calls tomorrow. I can definitely hold out for either job until the end of the week but I will need to make a decision at the end of next week.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yep, this. Keep your job search going. Make the temporary move to your parents. If the uncertainty continues and you don't want to stay with the parents longer than a few weeks, maybe talk with a moderately nice hotel about an extended stay deal. Say you are planning to stay about a month, and you may need another month after that. They will usually give you really good deals. And if you think about it, that is the only housing related bill you will have and may include some free meals, wifi, TV service, etc.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    I am sorry that I am just getting back to you guys. Reaching out wasn't necessary because a few hours of my self-imposed deadline the hiring manager (aka my boss's boss) emailed me and offered me the job, which I accepted on the spot based on that I needed something and all of the jobs this was probably the best one. Today was the end of my 4th week and it is getting better but it seem to becoming less and less overwhelmingly. Everyone has been really supportive. Plus, I have a new experience: helping kindergartners take a assesment test on a computer. They are cute but they can run you ragged.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    That's awesome. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM