Flunked GCIH today

BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got a 70.

Lost a lot in the first quarter of the test averaging 59. By the second and third quarter I was at 69. Bumped it to 70 by question #145.

Practice test 2 was score 71
Practice test 1 was score 60

I'm greatly annoyed as this was a cert I don't really want, but my job had pushed me to take to meet a contract requirement. (I was hired with understanding that I met IAM Level III with my GSLC, but a year later they said I needed IAT Level III). So they told me I had to get that cert by July.

I had to pay for the course and exam out of pocket. Deadline to get cert reimbursed according to company guidelines is to get the cert by Aug.

Having to pay $659 for a retest really stings!

Comments

• BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Analyzing results of today's exam compared to the last practice test.

Breaking it down to categories.

Areas that showed improvement
    Areas that showed decline
    Areas that remained the same.

Areas that Improved
    - Buffer overflow from 3 to 5 stars
    - Covering Tracks systems from 3 to 4 stars
    - DoS Attacks 1 to 3
    - Reconnaissance from 2 to 5
    - Scanning Service Discovery 3 to 4
    - Techniques for Maintaining Access 2 to 4
    - Virtual Machine Attacks - 3 to 4

Areas Declined
    - Incident Handling: Identification 4 to 3
    - Covering Tracks Networks - 3 to 2
    - Exploiting Client on LAN - 4 to 2
    - Incident Handling Containment - 5 to 2
    - Incident Handling: Recovery Lessons - 5 to 3
    - Network Sniffing - 3 to 2
    - Scanning: Network Devices - 4 to 3
    - Session hijacking and cache poisoning - 2 to 1
    - Worms, Bots and Botnets - 5 to 4

Areas that remained the same
    - Scanning: Host discovery - 3
    - Scanning: Network and Application 3
    - Web Application Attacks - 3

I did notice that questions in areas I thought I was strong seemed a bit harder, more complex in the actual test.

I had 7 minutes remaining by the time I got to the last question which I had skipped. It was fresh in my head, so I was able to look it up when I got home and found I had gotten it right by using Calculatus Eliminatus.

Cat in the Hat: When you've mislaid a certain something, keep your cool and don't get hot. Calculatus Eliminatus is the best friend that you've got. Calculatus Eliminatus always helps an awful lot. The way to find a missing something is to find out where it's not.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sorry to hear it mate. Did you use an index? Looking back on the test & your prep, what could you have done differently? What weak spot (not subject matter, I mean study matter) did you realize you missed during the exam?
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't give up, you should claim the exam and class as a work expense since it is required if they will not reimburse you. Keep at it, work on the areas you don't fully understand and take another shot, you also may see some questions repeat.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear you failed, but if you can't pass a practice test, there's just no way your going to be able to pass the exam. Your at a disadvantage now, there are no additional practice tests when you retake the exam. You either have to pay for another one, or study the heck out of everything to make sure you pass.

The practice tests are an excellent indicator where you stand, for almost everyone that reported there scores, there exam and practice test were within a few points of each other.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I personally suggest to flip the book for every questions, and pace the time taken to ensure it was 37 questions per hour. I don't think the score sheet is accurate, its up to you to take it as a reference in preparing your retake.

Evaluate your index and ensure your index is comfortable for you to take the exam
    Restudy you weak areas.
  • HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is really hard to do something if you don't like and don't want it. It is very important to be on positive and eager to learn more. I was on this state. I wanted more and more information and I passed it,after REALLY hard working.

My advice is this:
    start from the book 1. As you learn something,write it down on word document and also make index pages step by step. Notes will help you to remind everything under very little time. index pages will help you on exam day.

So, notes && index pages. That's it :)
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At least you have the ability to get additional practice exams and NOT pay the full price.

Make sure your getting 75 or higher on practice exams before taking the real deal.
  • abelamoralesabelamorales Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you need some help, I'd be more than glad to do a WebEx and help clear up some of the info you need help with. This test really requires a good index and I can help you with that as well.
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's no fun, sorry to hear it. Keep it up though! You'll get em next time.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ya failing anything is not fun, especially when that thing costs $700 bucks. You have a good idea on what to expect for the next time. Good Luck.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BillHoo wrote: »
    I had to pay for the course and exam out of pocket. Deadline to get cert reimbursed according to company guidelines is to get the cert by Aug.

Having to pay $659 for a retest really stings!

Did end up ever taking the test again?

Also, that crazy you paid for the course and exam out of pocket. I would've definitely choose to take the CISSP exam instead and saved about 5 grand. (don't need the full CISSP endorsement for IAT level III, if you didn't have the experience for it)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    alias454 wrote: »
    You have a good idea on what to expect for the next time.

That's the exact point of the practice tests, other than not telling if you got the answer wrong or not and of course different questions, they are exactly the same. There should be no surprises when you take the exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.