eJPT Certification Depth

g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
First off, I want to make it clear that I am not asking for any questions or **** from the exam.

I recently purchased the new eCPPT training material which included the PTSv3 course. I am about half way through the course and am debating on taking the exam vs. just proceeding to the new PTPv4 course once I am done. Without breaking any NDA or rules of this forum, what sort of depth is expected for the eJPT? For example, are you expected to write programs using C++ or Python? Most of my practical experience has been with Python & Powershell with a more theoretical understanding of C. Don't get me wrong, I see the value in understanding C/C++, but if possible, I'd like to have somewhat of an understanding of what to expect for the eJPT exam if I choose to take it once I am done with the course.

Thanks!

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The areas that are tested are spelled out pretty clearly on their website: https://www.elearnsecurity.com/certification/ejpt/
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes I've read that, but I didn't see anything specific about C++ or Python which an intro is covered in the PTSv3 training. Would I need to understand the concepts or be able to write my own code to achieve the objectives.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Right now I am studying for the eJPT. Currently you need to understand C++ or python and learn the concepts of the code. Because when you go to the next cert or take the OSCP you will need to have a general understanding and knowledge of it.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Only the areas listed on the that page are tested. If you are going on to PTPv4 I suggested put in the effort to learn C/C++, Python and ASM because Exploit Development is listed as an objective for the eCPPT.

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    g33k3r wrote: »
    Most of my practical experience has been with Python & Powershell with a more theoretical understanding of C.

You already have a understanding of python and powershell... It is not listed therefore its not on the eJPT. But as stated it is needed for the OSCP or any other certs after eJPT.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    The biggest thing you can do to ensure that you pass the eJPT is to do all the labs, dont skip ahead to the solution if you get stuck and dont just go through the motions of doing them, thoroughly understand them. All the material you need to pass the cert is included in the class package.

• g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for the clarification. Yes I understand and will continue to learn Python, C, C++, as well as other languages in my studies. I am almost done with Georgia Weidman book which is why I thought to get some clarification for the eJPT.

Thanks again!
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From what I remember, you don't NEED to know C++ or Python for the course but it would help a lot if you did know how to use them later on. My suggestion to you would be look up the basics such as variables, loops and user input. I kept getting bored with learning how to do math problems and other stuff with Python, so I looked online how to make a script on how to look up a website by name/ip address. The websites that I saw would just put the website into the script so I wondered if I could do it with user input and I did. It took a little bit of time to figure it out but I got it to where I would type in any website such as yahoo, Google, Msn... and it gave me the IPv4 address.

Having some knowledge with C++, Python and Bash will help you when you take higher level pentesting certifications.

I would like to suggest that you go beyond in what they present with SQL, XSS, Cracking tools, Scanning tools, and Enum tools so that you have more than one option to get where you need to get or what you need to find. One tool might give you one answer while another will give you what you need. If you only use one tool to check stuff out, it kind of limits what you find and also you might not be sure.

Knowing how to use Grep and pipes will help you as well.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    From what I remember, you don't NEED to know C++ or Python for the course but it would help a lot if you did know how to use them later on. My suggestion to you would be look up the basics such as variables, loops and user input. I kept getting bored with learning how to do math problems and other stuff with Python, so I looked online how to make a script on how to look up a website by name/ip address. The websites that I saw would just put the website into the script so I wondered if I could do it with user input and I did. It took a little bit of time to figure it out but I got it to where I would type in any website such as yahoo, Google, Msn... and it gave me the IPv4 address.

Having some knowledge with C++, Python and Bash will help you when you take higher level pentesting certifications.

I would like to suggest that you go beyond in what they present with SQL, XSS, Cracking tools, Scanning tools, and Enum tools so that you have more than one option to get where you need to get or what you need to find. One tool might give you one answer while another will give you what you need. If you only use one tool to check stuff out, it kind of limits what you find and also you might not be sure.

Knowing how to use Grep and pipes will help you as well.

That is why I had to dust off my "Art of C++" book. Youtube and google are helping me with Python and C++. Im slowly going through the free class from Pentester Academy right now...

Here is the link for the OP if you want to check it out... it is 100% free!

Class: Pentesting with Metasploit
  • evopilotevopilot Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what i dont understand is that when im trying to sign up to eJPT it only brings me to a link to pay for the PTSv3 icon_sad.gif
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    evopilot wrote: »
    what i dont understand is that when im trying to sign up to eJPT it only brings me to a link to pay for the PTSv3 icon_sad.gif

because the PTSv3 is the eJPT course. Clear your cart, go to https://www.elearnsecurity.com/certification/ejpt/, and just click on Get the Voucher on the bottom.

If you don't clear your cart before clicking on that it will keep whatever you had in there. Assuming you had the PTSv3 course in your cart before clicking on it and that is what could cause it.
    Just click the link.... click on get certified.... then click on "Get ejpt voucher now" then it automatically goes in your cart! the cost of exam is 200.00
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If he had the PTS course in his cart before hand it won't add the individual voucher to again and will just give an error instead.