Just graduated from WGU! IT - Security

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well, after about 3 years (Yes, pretty slow haha) I've finally finished my B.S. in IT Sec from WGU and couldn't be happier. I have nothing, but positive things to say about the staff, the school, the quality of the education, and the support that WGU has provided and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. My mentor has always been there for me and I legitimately feel like he's been a big part of my success.

Here's to bigger and better things! I believe I want to pursue the OSCP next, but have been debating taking a quick week or two to get the CEH first. It seems to be a fairly commonly requested cert for positions that I find interesting and I don't believe it will derail my OSCP studies by longer than a few weeks.

Anyways, just wanted to share my positive experience. If anyone has any questions about the school or the program, I'd be happy to answer! icon_cheers.gif
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Are you thinking about doing your Masters?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Ede890Ede890 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd tell people 2.5 years. :P

Congrats! I hope to be done by next summer.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Aderon! 3 classes away here and will also be another 3yr completion. Everyone has their own speed :)

All the best for CEH/OSCP.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!! Good luck with the CEH.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats! Are you thinking about doing your Masters?

It's very likely that I'll start pursuing a Master's at some point in the future. But, at the moment, I'm just trying to learn as much about pen testing and python scripting as I can. I don't think I'll be signing up for school again at least... for a year or more. Also, if I do go for a Master's I might go back to a brick and mortar.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!!!!......I am waiting for the result to my Capstone project now. .....waiting...waiting...impatiently.
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I have 3 classes left and I just started my 2nd semester in June.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • omichael003omichael003 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will like to chat with you about your experience and journey at WGU
  • omichael003omichael003 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aderon wrote: »
    Well, after about 3 years (Yes, pretty slow haha) I've finally finished my B.S. in IT Sec from WGU and couldn't be happier. I have nothing, but positive things to say about the staff, the school, the quality of the education, and the support that WGU has provided and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. My mentor has always been there for me and I legitimately feel like he's been a big part of my success.

Here's to bigger and better things! I believe I want to pursue the OSCP next, but have been debating taking a quick week or two to get the CEH first. It seems to be a fairly commonly requested cert for positions that I find interesting and I don't believe it will derail my OSCP studies by longer than a few weeks.

Anyways, just wanted to share my positive experience. If anyone has any questions about the school or the program, I'd be happy to answer! icon_cheers.gif
    I will like to chat with you about your experience and journey with WGU
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try the 2 sticky threads with hundreds of posts about WGU, lots of people here can answer your questions.
  • cmztechcmztech Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I have been wondering what the final assignments were all about at the end. How long did it take you to finish that final project where you design your own network or whatever?

Also, what materials did you use to pass the CCNA Sec class? Did you stick to only using the resources offered by WGU or did you use some outside resources as well?

(and 3yrs...who cares how long it takes! you have your BA, WTG!!)