CCNA or Security+?

jplondonjplondon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I graduated with an IT degree in 2007 with an emphasis in networking and security and have since been an English teacher for over 8 years. I'm looking to change occupations and preferably get into an SOC or security analyst type role. I recently passed the Network+ and the CCENT and am thinking about what to study next (ICND2/Security+?) in order to best boost my chances. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As a person with no certifications, you may not want to take my word for it; But I would say CCNA first and then Sec+
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Finish the CCNA first.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It would make more sense to just skip to CCNA: Security.
    Remedymp wrote: »

Be careful with this one. The passing score is significantly higher and the test is $250 instead of $150. You don't want to find yourself $500 and 2 attempts in, saying "I should have just done CCNA R&S".
  • SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be careful with this one. The passing score is significantly higher and the test is $250 instead of $150. You don't want to find yourself $500 and 2 attempts in, saying "I should have just done CCNA R&S".

Did Cisco change the rules or have you always been able to skip R&S and go to Security?
    Swaswaswa wrote: »
    Did Cisco change the rules or have you always been able to skip R&S and go to Security?

Yeah, in 2013 when Cisco moved to the 100-101 exam for ICND1, CCENT became the sole prerequisite for a few different CCNA tracks, including Security and Wireless.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□

I second this.... You have already met the requirement

Prerequisites for CCNA Sec

Any valid Cisco CCENT, CCNA Routing and Switching, or any CCIE certification can act as a prerequisite.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • jplondonjplondon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll take on ICND2 next and then go for CCNA Security instead of security+. It will probably take considerably longer but'll be worth it in the long run.
    jplondon wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll take on ICND2 next and then go for CCNA Security instead of security+. It will probably take considerably longer but'll be worth it in the long run.

If you're trying to be a security analyst, A CCNA is not going to help you.
    If you're trying to be a security analyst, A CCNA is not going to help you.

I was thinking the same, but basically my contract finished with my previous employer a couple of months ago and I think the certs I currently have probably won't be enough so really I'd like to get one more cert and a job as quickly as possible.

There don't seem to be so many entry level security jobs on the market atm in Japan and given my age (early 30s) and lack of experience (and not being Japanese) getting something is gonna be tough. One or two of the security roles are asking for ccna, security+ or CISSP. But the majority of the jobs out there are network engineer/web roles. Do you think the ccna security will cover me for those network roles too and be attainable within the next 2-3 weeks? Cheers.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□

Having just passed this exam, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in its current state. Very low quality certificate/exam.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□

Or you can finish the CCNA... and then sit for SSCP, CASP, CAP... any of those would be better... but you should start with Sec+ to get the foundation set for security.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    aderon wrote: »
    Having just passed this exam, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in its current state. Very low quality certificate/exam.

Quick analysis, please?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aderon wrote: »

won't it most likely be a couple years before they redo it again though? Maybe their Cyber Ops cert will be decent, although if you need to learn how to configure their firewalls that probably won't help much.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel like there needs to be cheaper access to quality study materials and reworking of some of the questions for it to be worth taking. As it is right now, I feel like you could spend less money and effort in different studies and have a better ROI.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    CCNA Security wtfpwns Security+.
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    wtfpwns

wat.......
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had to google it:

"Wtfpwn, v. - To pwn very hard, ostensibly to the point of making the pwnee say "wtf"

source: urbandictionary
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is the route I would take: Security+, CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Cyber Ops
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    danny069 wrote: »
    This is the route I would take: Security+, CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Cyber Ops

He's trying to get into a SOC role. In a SOC role, it's very rare that you're going to be doing any sort of networking or network administration on CISCO R&S. If he's trying to be a security analyst, dealing with forensics and other analytical applications, he will rarely be in a position to perform that duty. (it's more than likely a separation of duties there)
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I had to google it:

"Wtfpwn, v. - To pwn very hard, ostensibly to the point of making the pwnee say "wtf"

source: urbandictionary

I'm a video gamer, been playing for many years.......
    So it seems aderon thinks CCNA Security isn't worth its salt in present form, and fmitawaps thinks it's a beautiful gemstone. I'd like to get a consensus here, so if you two could battle it out until you agree, that would be excellent.
    I was thinking the same, but basically my contract finished with my previous employer a couple of months ago and I think the certs I currently have probably won't be enough so really I'd like to get one more cert and a job as quickly as possible.

There don't seem to be so many entry level security jobs on the market atm in Japan and given my age (early 30s) and lack of experience (and not being Japanese) getting something is gonna be tough. One or two of the security roles are asking for ccna, security+ or CISSP. But the majority of the jobs out there are network engineer/web roles. Do you think the ccna security will cover me for those network roles too and be attainable within the next 2-3 weeks? Cheers.

Sometimes when they post these job rec's, they often use certain certifications as keywords to fish for resumes or hits. So, often the CCNA will be the main one to fish for candidates. However, the reality is that no one will be doing any networking duties or administration of a network there. The most you might perform is IDS or firewall administration. In this regard, The CCNA:Security has some relevance.

If you can use linkedin to find some other opportunities or connect with more recruiters, then it could help you. Dell just opened up a SOC in Japan and is hiring. Could be something to look into...
    Sometimes when they post these job rec's, they often use certain certifications as keywords to fish for resumes or hits. So, often the CCNA will be the main one to fish for candidates. However, the reality is that no one will be doing any networking duties or administration of a network there. The most you might perform is IDS or firewall administration. In this regard, The CCNA:Security has some relevance.

If you can use linkedin to find some other opportunities or connect with more recruiters, then it could help you. Dell just opened up a SOC in Japan and is hiring. Could be something to look into...

Alright, thanks for the heads up and advice I'll look into it. ��