WGU MSISA Capstone Prospectus Question

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
So quick question for folks who've done or are working on their MSISA Capstone Prospectus'. Is it me, or does it seem like under Introduction, the Project Rationale, Project Summary, Problem Background, and Need for the Solution all ask for the same thing? Then under the Problem Statement, the Background Information asks yet again for the same stuff from up above?

I mean I'm reading the descriptions of what to put under each section in the template and I swear it's asking for the same stuff.

I'll be so glad to be done with this crap.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh yeah, it's asking for the same stuff..... Then you get to repeat yourself yet again with the written report, to the point that you might as well copy/paste from the prospectus to the written report. Good luck! You're almost done!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Oh yea, my capstone advisor said to basically copy and paste from the prospectus and change it to past tense. This prospectus is annoying with trying to rephrase the same stuff 5 different ways for the sections that are asking for the same thing.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yep, copy, paste and change it to past tense.....definitely a PITA.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It was really frustrating to me at first, but eventually I got used to copying and pasting and tweaking slightly for 50+ pages. Large sections of my prospectus transferred entirely to the written report with no modifications whatsoever. Lots of duplication!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
    It's gonna suck, but just put your head down and plow through it. Just keep telling yourself that once you're done, you have a master's degree!
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    I was working on my prospectus this afternoon and was complaining to myself about the same thing. How do I rephrase the problem 5 different ways? The thesaurus is a life saver in these silly situations.

How much in depth did you guys go in the prospectus vs the written report?
    Was the prospectus just glossing over the problem statements and solutions while keeping all the juicy details for the written report?
    @TranceSoulBrother, I'm actually working on finishing my prospectus now. Hoping I pass first time, then I'm going to try to knock out the written report in a week.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    @TranceSoulBrother, I'm actually working on finishing my prospectus now. Hoping I pass first time, then I'm going to try to knock out the written report in a week.

Did you go into much depth in all those rubrics or are you saving the meat for the written report?
    I'm hoping to stay up late tonight and knock out the prospectus for grading so that I can concentrate on a final revision tomorrow for my crypto exam before the test tomorrow night.
    Definitely don't go light on the prospectus. You have to clear every single section in the rubric to pass it. If you gloss over something, they will kick it back. It's just like one of the other taskstream courses.... I had my prospectus kicked back three times, finally passed on the fourth go. The written report though went through on the first try, because I was in the right mindset, I guess. And the written report actually has multiple subsections for each part of the rubric, so you can light on a few, but still pass that section overall. Not the prospectus though, that thing sucked lol.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification on your experience. I will had to do some serious massaging on my english writing for this prospectus lol.
    Damn it! I didn't pass the Crypto exam. I passed the pre-assessments but tripped on the actual exam.
    Gotta continue working on my capstone while waiting on the mentor to approve another shot.
    How long between attempts? 2 weeks?
    A week or two, I would guess. Depends on how quickly the mentor gets it done, and whether or not they want you to do something to show you're more prepared for another shot.
    Well, received my prospectus submission results and need to revise 8 prompts. Some of the feedback was helpful, some was still vague. I'm so over this. I really hope I can appease the Taskstream gods on this next submission.
    Only eight isn't too bad. I think I had to redo all but two on my first go around haha. You'll be fine, just add a few lines using the keywords from the notes.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just take their feedback and add a few lines. You got this!! You are so close to being finished!!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
    Thanks guys. I had my capstone mentor look at my prospectus and the Taskstream notes and she gave me a section by section explanation of what I should do. Her explanation of what to put is how the template should have been.
    - My prospectus was locked after three revisions because the grader kept repeating the same prompt and saying that I have to correct. He says that something is not there, then in the next sentence says that it is. Read it and tell me if it makes sense: "The Prospectus Organization is present and clearly outlines what the guide will contain. The sections to follow in the Prospectus cannot be located. The Prospectus Organization provides a summary of the sections to follow in a complete prospectus, such as the Cost and Risk Analysis."
    All mentors are out this week for commencement ceremonies and whatever. So I have to wait until Sunday for the course mentor to unlock the bloody task so that I can maybe add a sentence to the effect of "The Prospectus will contain bla bla bla" similar to what I wrote before.

- Working on the written report now to get it graded while waiting on the mentor. For those that finished the report, are you writing a descriptive analysis to expand on the prospectus? Is it in present tense or past tense as if the project is completed?
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I haven't done the MS yet, but for the BS the proposal was all present and future tense, and the capstone was all present and past tense. Nearly word-for-word except for tense.
    "as if the project is completed?"
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, did you not do the project? icon_redface.gif
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "The Prospectus Organization is present and clearly outlines what the guide will contain.
    This is good, this is their way of saying that you have completed the Prospectus Organization section.
    The sections to follow in the Prospectus cannot be located.
    Uh oh. This means that the sections you referenced in the Prospectus Organization aren't matching up with the section titles in the rest of your document. Fortunately this is an easy fix.
    The Prospectus Organization provides a summary of the sections to follow in a complete prospectus, such as the Cost and Risk Analysis."
    This sentence is just describing what *should* be in the Prospectus Organization, which you already have. He's quite possibly trying to give you a hint about what section he is looking for, so I would check to make sure that you have a section that is explicitly titled "Cost and Risk Analysis".
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
    An update, my prospectus revision passed with flying colors. My mentor made it so easy to understand what the grader wanted. Working on my capstone now.

@TranceSoulBrother sorry to hear that. I know I've had two classes where I experienced that happening. Hopefully its smooth sailing with my written report.
    Aftereffector, I shall and I will once the task is unlocked. thanks for the advice.
    "as if the project is completed?"
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, did you not do the project? icon_redface.gif

My project has a couple of things that can not be produced now and will cost mucho dinero if done in real life, so it's conceptual in nature but it was approved by the course mentor when I discussed it with her at the beginning.
    My project has a couple of things that can not be produced now and will cost mucho dinero if done in real life, so it's conceptual in nature but it was approved by the course mentor when I discussed it with her at the beginning.
    Ah, gotcha. You had me thinking you were just making stuff up. But yeah, the capstone itself will be written in past tense.
    My prospectus and written report were both approved today. I have to schedule the presentation.
    Just have to study enough for this bloody CHFI and complete all my requirements for this degree.
  • abupcabupc Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just submitted the prospectus! I agree with the rephrasing part that's what makes me nervous.

How long did it take for the evaluator to provide feedback? JoJoCal19 care to share the explanation your mentor gave you? :D
    Woohoo! Passed my written report on the first submission! Creating my presentation slides now, will schedule the presentation and I'm done with this bish!