Craziest qualifications asked about in interview or job application?

TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
I just applied for an entry level network job that, I kid you not, asked me for the name, location, and dates I went to my ELEMENTARY school. (in addition to so much more, that was just the craziest) And I have a college degree. I don't even remember the name of my elementary school. Needless to say I just left it blank, attached my resume, and am not giving a icon_exclaim.gif

Comments

• Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've seen it before too and you were right for leaving it blank. I think it was just some silly application template they got but just didn't remove that part.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had the same once as it was a security role in the corp office of a large retailer. When you get there they make EVERYONE fill out the same application.
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that it must surely be completely irrelevant which elementary school you went to, but...can you seriously not remember the name of it? Is that common? I presume elementary is the same as our primary schools that you attend for 7 years (age 4 - 11).

:)
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    On the other hand, I've seen people put this kind of thing on their resumes - usually because it was some fancy private school. Which to me basically just says "Employ me because we have the same background" rather than "Employ me because I can do the job". You can always tell a Milford man.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where did you go to elementary school?
    "Home."

Burn.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pfft! I moved around quite a bit when I was young and would have a hard time regurgitating a couple of those schools I spent less than a semester. Truth be told I'd put down a name of a town + elementary or Sherlock Holmes Elementary if I were feeling particularly tardish. At least one of the schools I attended third grade at is gone. Now a subdivision.

I know the records are out there somewhere... maybe?

- b/eads
  • daristotledaristotle Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I once applied for a general IT admin job at a machine shop. They made everyone take the same screening questionnaire before proceeding with an interview. So there were 15 questions about what type of drill bit to use for a given type of material, how to read a micrometer, and how to calculate various angles. It was pretty odd.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :DLOL, thats funny, happened to me as well when giving interviews and those are mandatory questionnaire.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I took a Wonderlic test for a job at a warehouse. I never got an offer.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Elementary? Wow. Mine has been torn down.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    +1 what @OctalDump said

I interviewed guys who tell me stories about how they started using computers when they were 3 yrs old...and wrote programs at the age of 5. Ok little genius, you get a cookie and a pinch on the cheek.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

Crazy bastards...I got up right then and told them I thought the interview was a mistake. Then I left.

What does that question have to do with computer hardware or networks? Sheesh.
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

Crazy bastards...I got up right then and told them I thought the interview was a mistake. Then I left.

What does that question have to do with computer hardware or networks? Sheesh.
    That is a common question, and a good one, as they want to know where in your career you would like to eventually be at. It's a good way for an employer to see what kind of interests you have.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nafe92014 wrote: »
    That is a common question, and a good one, as they want to know where in your career you would like to eventually be at. It's a good way for an employer to see what kind of interests you have.

Agreed. They don't want to invest into if you're going to gone within a year or so. One of the issues my employer kept running into is that: They would hire a resource, they would give said resource voucher for SANS training, and then said resource would take the training, get the cert and quit and move on.

So, it's not uncommon that they try and feel a perspective resource out with that question.