Help needed on learning style

HippodromeHippodrome Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am going to take the Security+ in two weeks. I am using the Gibson book, GCGA website, Prof Messor videos, the Comptia Security + Exam Prep app from learnZapp and lots O practice tests online. Doing good on practice tests. My problem is trying to remember the ports and I do pretty crapy on the performance based questions. How did you remember the ports?

Comments

• tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do a flash card setup , maybe in power point. FTP ( You say your answer) press a key and 20 appears. Do it over and over and over
  • jearl88jearl88 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CompTIA Security+ Certification Exam - Port Numbers Quiz

This is a good test that helped me remember the ports

Hope it helps, good luck
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On clean sheet of paper write out every port with port number or numbers FTP ports 21 and 22, etc. until your comfortable with the basic ports and have exhausted your memory. Check your memorization for accuracy and add a port or two. Rinse and repeat until mastery.

Another way to do this is to teach ports to someone else - even if its only you and a mirror. No, not kidding. You will remember much more after trying to explain concepts to someone else even if it feels a bit embarrassing at first.

Last, remember this is really just another high school history lesson. Do you really need to know the date for the battle of Delaware? No, unless your a historical tour guide. Much the same with many of these ports. Good to know but your likely to know ports you actually use on a regular basis as the rest have little to no meaning. Not having any real meaning to you at this point is what's making it difficult to memorize.

- b/eads
  • alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just spend 10-15mins each day remembering them. shouldnt be too hard. you need them anyway if you plan on pursuing other Info Sec certs :). good luck.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    What? Does no one know the FTP ports? 20 and 21. Data and Control. TCP. The fun stuff is troubleshooting this (not really).

Anyway. The way I learnt this was from configuring firewall and NAT rules over and over, and testing services using telnet. You do that often enough and it just sticks. I think you'll need the same repetitious practice. So, two things: flashcards (or similar exhaustive quizzes) and put up a poster or something in places where you will see it. So maybe above the end of the bed, on the fridge, on your cubicle wall, on the bathroom mirror. Then you'll be looking at it several times a day.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    beads wrote: »
    On clean sheet of paper write out every port with port number or numbers FTP ports 21 and 22, etc. until your comfortable with the basic ports and have exhausted your memory. Check your memorization for accuracy and add a port or two. Rinse and repeat until mastery.

This is exactly what I did. I practiced every day and added a few more each day. One day I would start with the numbers, and the next day I would start with the names. Don't try to memorize across; memorize down. In other words, when practicing, write down all of the numbers first. That makes it easier when filling in the names. When you sit for the test, they will give you scratch paper. Before you start the test, write down all of the port numbers/names from memory so you'll have a quick reference sheet and won't have to worry about trying to remember them during the test.
  • HippodromeHippodrome Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will try writing the ports down and learning a few at a time till they are "well known", all really good responses, wow.

Thank you all and I hope this helps someone else that struggling with these ports. I am taking the exam in two weeks and I am going to get these ports down.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□