Creating Ethernet collisions for study purposes

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
What is the best way to simulate collision in let's say packet tracer or GNS3?

Comments

• pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    depends if you could force different duplex modes one operating at 10mbs another at 100mbs that would create CRC collisions-think trouble is that most hardware is auto sensing thus not sure about that one,or just making one interface operate at half duplex while another one would be full duplex same outcome,think that one is possible in the likes of PT.If want more look into stp protocol not sure how one would go about that but if all ports would be forwarding you'd have enough collisions as well-but again most hardware has prevention's for loops.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    depends if you could force different duplex modes one operating at 10mbs another at 100mbs that would create CRC collisions-think trouble is that most hardware is auto sensing thus not sure about that one,or just making one interface operate at half duplex while another one would be full duplex same outcome,think that one is possible in the likes of PT.If want more look into stp protocol not sure how one would go about that but if all ports would be forwarding you'd have enough collisions as well-but again most hardware has prevention's for loops.

I was under the impression that data will not transmit unless the duplex and speeds are matched? If you manually set them to be different, I thought it would not work?

To OP, I would say to set devices as hubs?
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    just remember one practice test answer and it gave example of crc errors,due to one interface operating at 10Mbps another at 100.what you refer to is routing protocol such as ospf that has to have same duplex,speed,clocks to form adjacency.Then again its speculation,but fact is crc errors occur,now simulating them in pt/gns3 is different question.

Since even working in labs as mentioned most routers are fully sensing,so no need to use cross-over cable on modern switches routers-not sure about real world scenarios thou,but if working with real hardware id imagine trying to tamper one of wires on cable like small damage or dent,would cause crc errors.