Did the CompTIA CyberSecurity Analyst+ JTA

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
Back in January techexamer Qord posted a link to CompTIA looking for SMEs for a new certification labeled as Cybersecurity Analyst+. I answered the call and signed up for the workshop. I spent this whole week at their headquarters in the Chicago burbs working hard on this project. I've done a few JTAs for SANS/GIAC before but those were item review and passing score only. This one was better in my eyes because we got a chance to create something from zero. Unfortunately I can't say much about the upcoming test but let's just say that it should be welcomed by those looking for something more advanced that Security+ but not as difficult as the CASP. The group made sure this came out at the right level. Next steps include another group with more question writing in April, some QC, and a beta exam later this year. Can't wait to see the end result.

Another thing I can say is that CompTIA is a stellar host and took excellent care of all the SMEs participating in the workshop. They provided decent breakfast and lunch every day. Lunch selection was superb and featured local mexican and middle eastern food, as well as Giordano's, one of the most popular pizza joints in Chicagoland. They even treated us to steak dinner twice during the week. Heck yeah! At the end of the workshop they thanked us for our effort and gave us a goodie bag with a nice mug, SME polo, a pen, and a small Garret's popcorn in a lovely Chicago tin.

I highly recommend for those who can spare the time to do one of these workshops so you can see what is behind all these exams we take. Don't forget that there's also a stipend for attending so you could most likely cover flying from anywhere in the US, hotel, rental car, and have a few spare bucks after. Upcoming workshops are listed here: https://certification.comptia.org/get-involved/become-a-subject-matter-expert/workshops

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    glad to hear it went well!

So do you feel there is really a need to have an exam between the Sec+ and CASP+? I'm curious to know the difference between all of them or if there is a ton of overlap between the different ones. Not sure if you can actually comment on what it entails though.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the write-up. Looks like you enjoyed your time there.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't say much about the upcoming test but let's just say that it should be welcomed by those looking for something more advanced that Security+ but not as difficult as the CASP. The group made sure this came out at the right level. Next steps include another group with more question writing in April, some QC, and a beta exam later this year. Can't wait to see the end result.

I agree there is a gap between entry-level infosec certs such as Secrutiy+ and advanced-level certs such as CISSP/SANS.
    Always thought CASP will be that intermediate cert, but it seems that CompTIA is positioning it as a more technical CISSP.

I took CASP and appreciated the technical hands-on focus. In my part of the world and probably outside of DOD in US, CASP is not seen in job postings. Hope CompTIA promotes CASP more.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Can't really say much about the scope of the test. Once details go public I'll chime in.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    There probably is a place for something 'between' Sec+ and CASP, but I think what's really needed is differentiation sub speciality.

The Sec+ is a really good general, baseline, security qualification for ANYONE in IT. CASP seems to be aimed at senior technical security people who need also to interface with the business. The problem for CASP is it covers too broad a range to really qualify the technical aspects in sufficient depth - the network/firewall aspects are less than CCNA Security, the OS stuff is less than MCSA, the penetration/analysis stuff is less than CEH, the project management/lifecycle stuff is less than ITIL/Agile/Scrum/CAPM etc.

If I was sitting on the hiring side of the interview table, and someone came in with only CASP and experience, I couldn't see much value. But a technical qualification (eg Checkpoint or a GIAC or Cisco or whatever) and CASP would suggest that they have some view into the bigger picture, but it would still suggest that they could need further development.

But CASP has almost no visibility in my part of the world in any case.

If the Analyst position really focuses on the analyst skill set and goes for depth over breadth, then it could be a really interesting path.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing your experience, cyberguypr. While I haven't take CASP as yet, I plan to in the future (Linux+ first). I'm looking forward to this analyst certification as well.
    Forgot to mention that they also gave each participant a voucher for any CompTIA exam. I chose CASP so need to get that going right after my EnCase cert.
  • Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the intel-- I'll be keeping an eye out for more info!
  • PsydroxPsydrox Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You'll have to fill us in ;)
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got an email about it and contributing to it. Interesting exam.
    Some information just went public. This should give you an idea of the focus of the cert.
    http://surveys.comptia.org/s3/CompTIA-Cybersecurity-Analyst-Exam
    We’re looking for individuals with roughly 3-5 years of experience or more in security to help. Feel free to forward this URL to anyone with this level of experience. We are looking for 200 people to participate. The survey will be available until that number is reached
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Some information just went public. This should give you an idea of the focus of the cert.

Thanks Man! Got in on it.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The beta is live, and costs fifty bucks to take. They're letting it run until four hundred people have taken it. I signed up for it for Friday afternoon. It'll be interesting to see how this goes, considering there's no study materials for it. I'm hoping that having taken CEH and CHFI over the past couple months will have some residual assistance. But oh well, I expect to fail, so I won't be disappointed if I do, and it's only fifty bucks.
  • revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The beta is live, and costs fifty bucks to take. They're letting it run until four hundred people have taken it. I signed up for it for Friday afternoon. It'll be interesting to see how this goes, considering there's no study materials for it. I'm hoping that having taken CEH and CHFI over the past couple months will have some residual assistance. But oh well, I expect to fail, so I won't be disappointed if I do, and it's only fifty bucks.

Thanks for this. I registered and scheduled my exam for July 14th. If we pass do we get the actual cert?

I'm in the middle of my Network+ study and already have my voucher for the Sec+ purchased. I know I'm not ready for this, but YOLOing the beta exam was too good to pass up. I have materials and registration dates banked for the SSCP, CEH, and eJPT so I'm putting the cart before the horse.

How much about this exam can we discuss? What about the SMEs; how much can they reveal? I'm just thrilled about the chance to pioneer an exam. :)
    Just registered for it for July 27th. Taking a SANS course in a couple weeks so will be taking this right after that...
    revbox wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I registered and scheduled my exam for July 14th. If we pass do we get the actual cert?

I'm in the middle of my Network+ study and already have my voucher for the Sec+ purchased. I know I'm not ready for this, but YOLOing the beta exam was too good to pass up. I have materials and registration dates banked for the SSCP, CEH, and eJPT so I'm putting the cart before the horse.

How much about this exam can we discuss? What about the SMEs; how much can they reveal? I'm just thrilled about the chance to pioneer an exam. :)
    From what I understand, they're going to evaluate the results of the beta, and determine which questions will count, what the passing score is, ect ect. And those who ended up passing based on their determination of what the final exam will be, will become certified. The results won't come out until the fall though, so it'll be months of waiting. I doubt the SMEs will be able to discuss anything, and I don't think we will be able to either.

From the little information CompTIA has on their site, I feel like this test could end up becoming a competitor to CEH. But only time will tell on that.
    Wonder if I should reschedule it before the 27th... If 400 ppl take the test before the 27th do I not get to take it and they just refund my money? Not sure how that works.

End Date
    When 400 people have taken the beta (4-week estimate)

• tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wonder if I should reschedule it before the 27th... If 400 ppl take the test before the 27th do I not get to take it and they just refund my money? Not sure how that works.

End Date
    When 400 people have taken the beta (4-week estimate)

I just signed up for Aug 31st...hopefully it is the first 400 to register ?
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man this is kool, I'd sign up but I already have the CASP, wouldn't make sense for me.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    I have no idea if it's the first four hundred to take it or to register. But I'd play it safe and get it done as early as possible. It's not like there's any study materials out there for the test, nor is there even much information to go off of for general self-study. That's my mindset, just gonna give it a go. I either know the answers, or I don't.
    Just got the following response from Comptia about it:

The CompTIA CyberSecurity Analyst+ Beta Exam is open to the first 400-450 people who take the exam. You are not guaranteed to take the exam just because you have already registered for the exam. After 400-450 people take the exam, it will be closed.

So might want to get it in soon if you plan on attempting it!

• ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have mine booked for the 30th of July I'm currently studying CEH will test a week prior so hopefully this will be good enough to pass on top of my experience. If not oh well its only 50 bucks
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just got the following response from Comptia about it:

The CompTIA CyberSecurity Analyst+ Beta Exam is open to the first 400-450 people who take the exam. You are not guaranteed to take the exam just because you have already registered for the exam. After 400-450 people take the exam, it will be closed.

So might want to get it in soon if you plan on attempting it!

So they gonna give you a refund if you pay for it and don't make the deadline?
    So they gonna give you a refund if you pay for it and don't make the deadline?

lol well I went ahead and asked them that and got the following response:

After further investigation, I was informed that if you are registered, you are already one of the 400-450 people, so you will be able to sit for the exam.

Soooo guess it is actually off of registration? Was gonna reschedule it for next week, but I'll leave it on the 27th now so I'll take it right after the SANS course. Hopefully that still works for me then...
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    lol good looking out!
    Well that's completely contradictory to the first response lol. Ah well, I'm taking mine in two days anyways, so it won't affect me either way icon_wink.gif Good luck to y'all though, hopefully it all works out!
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good news! Now I will have time to review Wireshark, Bro/Snort, etc. etc. Also I can start my CEH studies for WGU to help prepare for this.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you sign up for this Beta? Am I missing something?
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Scheduled to take the test August 5th. Looking forward to it. Will post review when the time comes.
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Registered to take it on 25 July. We'll see how it goes.