Unsure of which direction to go.

EMT760EMT760 Member Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Let me start by saying I'm recently considering switching careers from being a EMT/Medic to It. Part of that is due a injury sustained in my line of work. So I've looked at IT/Computers as a another field that I am interested in.

So far I know most likely I would need my A+ and or network+. The issue is many of the local community colleges offer a certificate program as either a Microsoft Certified Desktop Tech or have programs that teach you the fundamentals but unsure if they mirror A+ or not. Infact the professor in a email told me that in the fall of 2017 they are making a program to designed to mirror Comptia A+.

So to summarize, I could attend a certificate program designed to have me test for MCDST test by mircosoft for desktop operations. Or should I attend a private school like a A+ and Network+ boot camp?

Thanks!

Comments

• EMT760EMT760 Member Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is a copy of the curriculum for the local community college.

Computer Studies & Information Technology < MiraCosta College
  • junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ is a kind of general, fundamental knowledge cert about IT. Basically, it worth with any operations that related to IT support, help desk who can do everything but not in depth.
    In my perspective, you should choose a specific way to get inside of IT after get A+ cert. IT has lots of division not just networking, not just OS but software, security... so pick up one of the cert branch that you feel that it was born to be on your side and go ahead with it.
  • EMT760EMT760 Member Posts: 32 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. I honestly don't know much about networking (I know bare basics) I'm more of a hands on guy hardware, troubleshooting via remote, or fixing and upgrading. I'm guessing A+ and network+ would be a good start?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That would be a good start. Take the mcdst also. Microsoft certifications are worth it, most of the environments out there run Windows.
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CompTIA trio (A+, Network+, and Security+) is a great place to start. The material that these three certs cover will give you a decent foundation and can also help you discover which topics you want to pursue further.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+, Network+, and MCDST are good to begin with.

Jump into CCNA if you go the networking route. Security+ if go the security route (or GSEC if money isn't an issue).
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think being an x EMT/Medic will give you a huge advantage for IT positions in hospitals.

CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician is another option after finishing A+ if you want to work for a hospital.

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/healthcare-it-technician
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Try this link, it will give the certifications you maybe after for each pathway:

https://www.asheta.com/images/easyblog_images/914/b2ap3_large_IT-Certification-Roadmap_001.png
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle