Passed 901/902!

csteffen28csteffen28 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for my associates degree in networking systems management and interning at a small SaaS company, but I wanted to start collecting certs before I was finished with my degree. I took the A+ Monday and passed the 901 and 902! Studied for about a month and took both tests in one day. I am hoping to go get my Net+ next month and then start studying for Security +. Will have my associates in December and want to have the 3 COMPTIA certs as i start my career. My end goal is to get into security, but I have heard it takes many many years before most companies will trust/hire you. I was also planning on taking my CCNA, because the school i attend is a Cisco Academy. Does the Net+ and ccent sorta compare in information?

Comments

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • ZzLuLzZzLuLz Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • csteffen28csteffen28 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats!!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

Take care on accumulating too many certifications without experience. It is good to have an understanding of information, but that does not make one more employable, it does (to me) look like someone is into collecting paper. Then again, I'm old school and actually want people around me who have a clue what they are doing unless I hire them to be trained and taught.

As far as is there overlap between NET+ and CCNA, well, keep in mind the CompTIA certs are vendor neutral. The CompTIA certs provide a baseline of knowledge on topics. CCNA will show one is more familiar with Cisco products. Candidates will need an understanding of basic networking to be successful with any vendor product, so there is overlap most definitely. Meaning you will not waste time by starting with NET+ and moving forward from there.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • EDogg29EDogg29 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!
  • Darkey15Darkey15 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations !!
  • csteffen28csteffen28 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @=Plantwiz

Thanks for the advice. I feel like I'm more confirming my pre existing knowledge than collecting papers. I will have two years in my current IT job by the time i graduate. Not perfect experience, but it's helpdesk/network/security/server admin knowledge in small bits. And my degree is aimed at being a Cisco boot camp for the CCNA, that's why i was asking. Taking the A+, Net+, and Sec+ on top of being good for my resume also gets me a letter grade improvement in the respective classes at the school. Sort of an insurance policy for those classes. Just glad to know I'm not taking them and them be useless icon_smile.gif
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□