Passed CISSP exam on 2nd attempt 5July16

jasontheprojasonthepro Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background:

I have experience in network administration and some programming.

Study Material:

Sybex 7th edition and test banks, ISC2 Official CBK 4th edition, Quizlet flashcards and Cybrary.it (website).

Time Frame and experience:

I took a 4 week course with 2 week breaks in between with a primary focus on using the CBK as a reference guide and used the Sybex test banks. I took the exam the 1st time 2 weeks after completing the course and scored a 602 and realized buying the CBK may not have been the best choice.

I then took 1 month to study for the 2nd exam and read the Sybex book page-by-page, hammered away at the test banks and found my weak areas and reread those chapters in the Sybex book. Then when I started to score at least 80% or higher cumulative in the test banks I watched the videos from cybrary.it. The lady does a really great job in breaking down the vocabulary and concepts into logical structures. This really helped me a lot especially for the non-technical areas in the domains. The videos brought my score to around 92% on the test banks.

Another great tool that really helped me was the quizlet flashcards on the ISO/IEC, NIST SP 800 series and the SDLC models.

However, I did study 3-4 hours on weekdays and sometimes 7-8 hours on the weekends. Lol yeah I got really burnt out and took the last 3 days off before the exam and took a day here and there.

I hope you find this useful and let me know what you ya'll think.

Comments

• protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! This is a true example of persistence :)

Please, share links of Quizlet flashcards, thanks
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass! Those cybrary videos were so helpful, should be required watching for anyone going for the CISSP.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Background:

However, I did study 3-4 hours on weekdays and sometimes 7-8 hours on the weekends. Lol yeah I got really burnt out and took the last 3 days off before the exam and took a day here and there.

I hope you find this useful and let me know what you ya'll think.

Congrats on the test I know how you feel I didnt feel as ready but I was so burned out i was literally referring to best practice in all aspects of my life lol
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • jasontheprojasonthepro Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! Those cybrary videos were so helpful, should be required watching for anyone going for the CISSP.

I agree I thought she did a better job than my instructor in my class Lol
  • EDogg29EDogg29 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Thanks everyone, so when an employer asks me for proof, how do I go about it as an associate of ISC^2?
    With my Sec+ I could give out a cert number but I can't certify with a CISSP for at least another year and 3 months.