MCSA: Windows Server 2012 good book

Rave18Rave18 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is a good book to study for the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification ? I tried searching, but couldn't find a definite answer.

Comments

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This seems to be a known problem with the MCSA 2012 R2 certification in general; there doesn't seem to be really any good books. I've heard the Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 book is supposed to be good but I've never used it. Whatever you do don't buy the Sybex All In One Exam Guide by Don Poulton. It's worthless. The Exam Ref books are good for a quick brushover and labs but not enough on their own to pass the exams. I'd recommend getting some training videos from either Pluralsight or Infinite Skills, or both, which is what I'm doing. They are fairly comprehensive and then you can supplement them with looking up information on TechNet and other online resources. Plus some good practice exams are very helpful.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I agree the Mastering Windows Server book is a great book, Mark Minasi is a great author. You should also look at the MOAC series, they are complete.

70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2
    70-411 Administering Windows Server 2012 R2
    70-412 Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services R2

Hope this helps

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sybex All In One Exam Guide by Don Poulton.

Are you referring to the Sybex book by William Panek? I really hope that you are, because I just bought the Don Poulton book. icon_redface.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Complete-Study-Guide/dp/111885991X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467836621&sr=8-1&keywords=mcsa+2012+sybex
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you referring to the Sybex book by William Panek? I really hope that you are, because I just bought the Don Poulton book. icon_redface.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Complete-Study-Guide/dp/111885991X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467836621&sr=8-1&keywords=mcsa+2012+sybex

I have the book by Panek and thought it wasn't a bad book at all. Like anything, you don't and cannot rely on just one source to get everything that you will need for being prepared for the exam. It was pretty easy to read and follow along for me. I'll find out in a little more than a week how well this book, pluralsight and all the labbing/technet stuff I did to prepare.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    *bohack*

The book you mention 70-410 Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 I was going to buy that book but it's a 2014 one. Now do you think that's good material since the update of R2? I'm just wondering.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*

Oh yes, I apologize, I had the correct book title but the wrong author. I meant the one by Panek. It actually wasn't too bad for the 410, but the 411 seemed like it was lacking quite a bit and I'm taking the 409 instead of the 412 so I can't comment on that part of the book.
    All the best,
    Anderson

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yes, I apologize, I had the correct book title but the wrong author. I meant the one by Panek. It actually wasn't too bad for the 410, but the 411 seemed like it was lacking quite a bit and I'm taking the 409 instead of the 412 so I can't comment on that part of the book.

I too have that book. I started reading it a while back but i switch between other books myself.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great, just ordered that All In One book last night. -_-

We'll see. Had good experiences with Sybex books so far.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
    It's worth reading; it's just that the way it's marketed it makes you think that it will prepare you to go out and take the test after going through it. I feel like it leaves out a TON of relevant information that is covered on the exam and the labs are not only very few and far between, but they leave something more to be desired. Also, in the first chapter the author states about the importance of Powershell for the exams and says that he will therefore be covering it more in depth throughout the book or something like that but he hardly mentions it again. I guess it all depends on your level of experience with Server 2012. Someone with little to no experience would probably find it beneficial but a System Admin who has been working with the OS for some time would find it mostly irrelevant. The 410 material was alright but the 411 just made me shake my head.
    All the best,
    Anderson