Confused about MTA exams

ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a co-worker who keeps telling me about MTA exams. I also keep hearing elsewhere that MTA isn't worth much. Do any of you have one, has it helped you?

Thanks

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I had to get one since it was a requirement for my job. So, yes it has helped me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you confused about? If they are worth it or not? Well that depends on the company, your experience or the requirements of the job.

As per Microsoft, so yeah if you are new and you want to start somewhere, you can start with an MTA. By the way, usually a lot of the information regarding a particular certification can be found on the organization's website.

"Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) is an introductory Microsoft certification for individuals considering a career in technology. MTA certification addresses a wide spectrum of fundamental technical concepts, assesses and validates your core technical knowledge, and enhances your technical credibility. Note MTA exams do not qualify for MCP certification, nor are they a prerequisite for MCSA or MCSD certification."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mta-certification.aspx
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess my confusion is whether it would be better to go for the MCSA. I work mainly in helpdesk for now, looking at something more security-oriented. Seems like Linux may give better bang for the buck long-term, but MTA/MCSA may help in the short term.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many years of experience do you have?
    What is your degree in?
    What have you been working on since you graduated?

If you are new, go for the MTA, then MCSA. If you want to get into Security, go for the Sec+ then MCSA.
    3 months of IT experience
    Degree is in biology
    A+, working on Net+ and Sec+
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sure why not but I'm not sure I would get the whole collection! :D
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    With that little of experience I would get your mta first, then look towards an mcsa. MCSA is no small accomplish and if passed legitimately may take half a year or more to get all 3 certifications.
    Sounds like MTA may be worthwhile then. thanks
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If you aren't ready for an MCSA, an MTA can be a good way to ease into things. The only real cost is the cost of the exam. You will still need the same knowledge if you go for MCSA, so the study time and effort is not relevant - it's work that needs to be completed at some time regardless of the path.

Besides something to put on your resume or use to negotiate better position/pay, there are a couple of other benefits for getting the MTA - to build your confidence and to get familiar with MS exams.

Once you have an MCSA, the MTA wouldn't be that relevant (like no one really cares about your high school if you have a Bachelor's). So really the financial aspect would come down to how much benefit you would derive over its lifetime and how long that lifetime might be.

It's that length of lifetime which is usually the deciding factor. If you think you can get the MTA in 6 months, but the MCSA is going to take 2 years, then getting the MTA probably makes sense. If you think you could get the MCSA in 6 months, and the MTA in one month, then maybe it isn't as attractive.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    @OP

MTA are just MCSA "Lite". If you're new the industry they might make more sense to get you understanding Server, SQL, etc. They're introductory exams and will teach you the basic level of knowledge.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Chinook, while I don't possess one I always thoughts about getting one that ties to the field I am technology I am most interested in. It could be a jump start into the professional level certs and if not it still looks good.