Does anyone actually fail the IAPP Exams? IE CIPP CIPT CIPM?

thexfactorthexfactor Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Does anyone actually fail these exams?

A little nervous, I am actually taking one soon.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My understanding is they are fairly difficult so I am sure people do.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These exams originally started as legal proficiency exams dealing with privacy only. You could only take the exams once a year in DC and there was at the time considered a modest failure rate.

Today, I haven't heard anyone outright failing an exam but hardly a widely received exam as well. Meaning hardly anyone notices it outside of the privacy community.

Are you a privacy officer or looking to be?

- b/eads
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited June 2019
    I'm taking CIPM in a few weeks and will let you know. I don't find the study materials challenging at all, with the caveat that I have moderate- to heavy-experience in this field already. As of the second I type this I've compressed 100 pages (out of 120 total) of the study guide down to a 3 page Word document outline. The study materials at least are on the 101/201 level. They don't get very deep and really just introduce topics. Again, in my experienced opinion. Hopefully I don't jinx myself, excuse me while I go knock on some lucky wood.....
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Follow-up - on the thread below you indicate "I already have a CIPP and CIPT certification" - so, do you or don't you have a IAPP cert already? Your post here makes it sound like you don't have any.....

CISSP Work Experience Requirement for Attorneys

Admiral-Ackbar-Its-A-Trap.jpg
  • thexfactorthexfactor Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't have the CIPM cert. I was wondering what the pass rate is for that exam.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recall the CIPP/US test being fairly difficult. I think I passed that by one question.

The CIPM and CIPT was no problem.
  • compton2k15compton2k15 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As of the second I type this I've compressed 100 pages (out of 120 total) of the study guide down to a 3 page Word document outline. .

care to share? :)
    CISSP | CISM | MBA | SEC + | Net+ |  A+ |
    Next up: renew CCNA, AZ-900, AZ-500
  • infoseclawyerinfoseclawyer Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ya, I was surprised by the difficulty of CIPP/US. More so because the fact patterns were awkward, but the breadth of knowledge is also pretty extreme. It's impossible to memorize all the details of of some privacy regulation, but some questions are extremely detailed oriented and easy to miss. I prepared pretty heavily since the testing fee was coming out of my pocket, too. I would recommend that test takers shouldn't take the CIPP/US exam lightly.
  • Tinted EveTinted Eve Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll be retaking the CIPP/US exam next month. Would you be willing to work through one of the fact scenarios. I recall the questions about the 10-yr old/COPPA question, the gym owner/information management topic, medical aide student/HIPPA, GINA and data breach question. I think if I work through one, I can figure out how to break down the questions on my own. Thanks. And congrats!
  • JestinaJestina Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed the CIPT a few weeks ago. What really stressed me was that there were a few questions that were not in the text book. I've checked and rechecked and can't find them. I am in the process of appealing. I wondered if anyone has been successful. I scored really well on some domains, 100% on one of them but despite studying more than I did for the CIPP/E I failed. The dud questions really three me. And now I fear that those questions could have been between a pass and a fail. I got an overall mean average of 74% on all seven domains. Yet one of my colleagues got less and passed last year. I wanted to get any feedback on the appeal process from anyone.
  • JestinaJestina Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Delete question
  • myboy1979myboy1979 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jestina: I am taking this test later this month. I'd never ask for the questions that weren't in the test material, but can you give me an idea of the supplemental material I should study to prepare for those questions?
    Jestina wrote: »
    I failed the CIPT a few weeks ago. What really stressed me was that there were a few questions that were not in the text book. I've checked and rechecked and can't find them. I am in the process of appealing. I wondered if anyone has been successful. I scored really well on some domains, 100% on one of them but despite studying more than I did for the CIPP/E I failed. The dud questions really three me. And now I fear that those questions could have been between a pass and a fail. I got an overall mean average of 74% on all seven domains. Yet one of my colleagues got less and passed last year. I wanted to get any feedback on the appeal process from anyone.
    Jestina: I filed an appeal on a fail on the CIPP/US test. I was shut down. I felt I had excellent reason to appeal, as, like you, I was very close to passing and some of the questions and answers were suspect in my opinion.
    Jestina wrote: »
    Two people have mentioned they were testing on material not provided by IAPP but nobody will say the subjects. I'm happy to put the work in but throw me a bone peeps.
  • epl79epl79 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    These exams originally started as legal proficiency exams dealing with privacy only. You could only take the exams once a year in DC and there was at the time considered a modest failure rate.

Today, I haven't heard anyone outright failing an exam but hardly a widely received exam as well. Meaning hardly anyone notices it outside of the privacy community.

Are you a privacy officer or looking to be?

- b/eads

Would you like to share your summary?
  • schipholschiphol Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    myboy1979 wrote: »
    Two people have mentioned they were testing on material not provided by IAPP but nobody will say the subjects. I'm happy to put the work in but throw me a bone peeps.

The subject is still privacy. The IAPP site says privacy law is still being updated and there is no one book or repository that will have all the info. They weren't kidding. Pay attention to privacy in the news. For example, I imagine the Equifax breach and subsequent FTC investigation will be in a future exam. You don't need to know every little thing but you should know anything involving the FTC and HIPPAA very well, and enough about FERPA and international frameworks/standards like GDPR. It is a difficult and sometimes bizarre exam considering the minutiae they expect you to know, but it's definitely passable.
  • sblahhsblahh Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @myboy1979: Did you take CIPP/US after August 1st 2017? The website says that the exam has been updated. I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on the new test.
  • r21r21 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CIPP/US exam last month (i.e., after the August 1st 2017 update). I have a handful of certs, mostly security related. I studied significantly harder for this exam than any others. I passed with a little breathing room, but not much. A couple thoughts from the other side:

-Know. The. Book. Inside and out. Yes, the 5-year-old Swire/Ahmad book. I lucked out on a question about a specific legal case because I had no recollection of the details of the case, but remembered what section of the book I was reading when I read about it.

-I spent way too much time learning about new case law and enforcement actions since publication of the book. That time would have been better spent brushing up on my weak areas. I can't stress this enough. Despite what the IAPP suggests, the book really is the only source you need for any of the laws enacted pre-2012.

-Focus not just on the details, but how to practically apply them in an organization. I spent most of the exam time going through the scenario questions, which were quite challenging and (mostly) tested my applied knowledge rather than just rote memorization.

My suggestion for a study strategy, in order:

1) Read the book. Write your own paraphrased summary as you go. What is the law, why does it exist, who does it cover, what does it amend, penalties, enforcement history, etc etc. Go through the material slowly, making sure you understand each law fully before moving on.
    2) Look at the exam blueprint provided by IAPP. Pick out the items that are on the blueprint, but were not in the book. Study each of these items on your own.
    3) Spend extra time studying the material listed for the Aug 1 update (https://iapp.org/certify/exam-updates/).
    4) Do the IAPP sample questions using their suggested time limit. Use the result to brush up on your weak areas. There's not a lot of questions, so don't be tempted to look through them until you're ready to simulate the real thing!
  • irishmirishm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Trying to study for the CIPP/E but frustrated that the only way to get the reading for the exam is through purchasing their course. Does anyone have the compendium they would be willing to share?

For those who have taken the CIPP/E exam-how necessary is it to take the course? Is it like taking the bar exam without a bar prep class?
  • irishmirishm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jestina- did you take the course to prepare for CIPP/E? I'm studying using their online resource list, but I'm nervous that the compendium is only available through their course. Is this essential to pass the test?

Do you or anyone have the resource compendium or sample questions they would be willing to share?
  • CrankyLouCrankyLou Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Irishm I might be able to help you with that.
  • futureellefutureelle Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm debating which exam to take CIPP/US or CIPP/E anyone taken both?
  • futureellefutureelle Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe the book is for-sale by itself here https://iapp.org/store/books/a191a000002FJK5AAO/
  • RudieBooneRudieBoone Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello CrankyLou,

can you help me with some more information about CIPP/e?

I'm very interested in the some sample exams. Please let me know
  • irishman2irishman2 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, delighted that there is a thread on these exams. I signed up to the course yesterday and just received my reading materials. Kind of nervous about it, the book is good and well written but I can just tell it will be difficult to retain a lot of the knowledge.

Did anyone have any luck with the past exam papers or does anyone have any they could share?!I'm based in Ireland myself so will do the IAPP Europe exam
  • TumbleweedTumbleweed Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,
    I'm an IT professional(software) based in Ireland looking to do CIPP/E . I'm trawling the internet looking for resources. Just after ordering the book but would anyone be so kind to share some sample questions/experiences/advice with me. I see a few from Ireland on here. Maybe we could set up an online study group?

Thanks
  • sfportarosfportaro Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CIPT on 1/8/2018. It was fairly hard. I would say a 7 on a 10 scale with the CSSLP being a 9.

I totally agree with r21's advice. Common sense and experience goes a long way. R21's advice on the scenario questions is also spot on.
  • lizette1121622lizette1121622 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CrankyLou wrote: »
    Hi Irishm I might be able to help you with that.
    I will be studying for the CIPP/E exam. I am interested in sample questions/resource compendium.
  • MarcM001MarcM001 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just found these forums searching for CIPP/E study advice. Very grateful for the discussion here and for any advice others who have gone before me can offer here or by PM. Thank you.

Marc
  • stayingcoolstayingcool Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    myboy1979 wrote: »
    Hi Jestina: I am taking this test later this month. I'd never ask for the questions that weren't in the test material, but can you give me an idea of the supplemental material I should study to prepare for those questions?

Hi myboy1979,

Could you please share your experience on the CIPT exam. I am planning to take CIPT in the next few weeks.

Thanks,