Is R&S Needed?

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
To be successful with wireless do you need to be certified in R&S or could I just go straight for CCNA-W and CWNA?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You definitely don't need to be certified, but the knowledge is helpful for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I'd do the R&S first not just for the knowledge, but because it's a better deal than any of the other tracks. $150 for ICND2 vs $250 for every other CCNA track.
  • Burns82Burns82 Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You definitely don't need to be certified, but the knowledge is helpful for sure.

Yes understanding the fundamentals is a must I believe
  • jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For CWNA you can go straight w/o requested taking CWTS however, it is real dry to study.

For CCNA-W you have to take ICND1 first; which is a requested in order to take CCNA-W. You don't have to finish ICND2 if you decided going for wireless.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    CCENT is a requirement for CCNA Wireless, and I think is sufficient. Probably if you want to go beyond CCNA W, then CCNA R+S is not a bad thing to have, both for the background knowledge and for hireability. I'm not sure what the market is like where you are, but in my part of the world senior (CCNP +) wireless engineers are usually also working with the other parts of the network to some degree.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM