Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    paddywack wrote: »
    Oh, definitely not. I'm not that easily influenced. LOL I'm ready to start now, but we're shooting for an Aug 1 start date in the DMDA program. I'm super excited!
    That's awesome, good luck!
  • loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys. Although WGU seems very affordable I might only be able to start sometime next summer due to financial issues. Would it make sense in the meantime to complete certifications (MCSA, etc) on my own before I start classes to limit the time it takes to graduate or it doesn't really matter? My certifications such as A+ and Security+ were passed more than 8 years ago so I'm assuming I will need to retake them to be eligible for a credit.
    Yeah, it makes sense. There's no way to tell what WGU will accept next year as transfer credit, but overall it's a solid plan and it's similar to what I did.

I'd definitely do the CompTIA's. If you pass the current Security+ you can renew the old ones up to the CE-level. If you go in with A+, Net+, Sec+, Lin+, you will get credit for like 5 classes. Probably the best way to plan it is to find their transfer policy for the program you want to enroll in. It's on their site somewhere.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can get the vouchers for the certs free, then go for it. If you have to pay out of pocket, then I would just study up, and prepared for a few of the tests, and then enroll into a few of the classes that require passing the certs to pass the course, and getting the vouchers free. Then you just schedule the test, pass real quick, and onto the next. Depending on how many certs you can prep for and get through, you could save almost a term's worth of tuition in free vouchers :D
    Very valid point. Look at the numbers first.

EDIT: I'd at least renew your Sec+ before enrolling. If not, you'll have to take both A+ classes, AND the Sec+ class.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enrolled having the A+ and studied for Net+ and Sec+ before I started. The first month was spent studying WGU's material for both tests because you have to pass their pre-tests before sitting the test. It probably saved me a month or two, which financially didn't matter because I completed the degree in 10 months.

I'd look to see if you qualify for financial aid, you probably do, which should make it affordable. Otherwise you'll end up spending at least $600 you didn't have to on comptia certs. $450 minimum on MCSA Server.

As for saving the most money and getting the most well-rounded certs. I went the BSIT security route to get the CCNA's and Linux+ (neither have .edu discounts and are some of the most expensive) and went after the MCSA Server ($87 per with .edu email) and VCP ($150 with dreamspark voucher) after the degree. This resulted in saving close to $5000 if you consider the official vmware course (Stanly wasn't an option for me).
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    Well, I got my transfer credits evaluation today and WGU only accepted Microsoft's 70-410 certification. Besides that, I only won't need to take English Composition classes which leaves me with 105 CUs that I will need to pass. Speaking with my enrollment counselor she suggested that it might take 3-4 years on average to complete all the coursework. It's such a bummer icon_sad.gif I will apply for financial aid but I have a feeling all of the tuition won't be covered.

My supervisor suggested that I just study for as many certifications as possible and then reapply to just take the liberal arts classes as it would be a big money saver. Any advice?
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you are going to go that route study for the certs but don't take them until after you apply and then knock out as many as possible the first month, but what i would do is apply front load the liberal arts stuff and study for the cert classes on the side then the last month or so of the term pound out all the comptia stuff. since comptia study amterial is every where you can kill a couple birds with one stone.
  • DerkDaDerkDerkDaDerk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starting February 2017 with the B.S. - IT Security program :D
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DerkDaDerk wrote: »
    Starting February 2017 with the B.S. - IT Security program :D
    Good luck. Did you already submit your application?
  • DerkDaDerkDerkDaDerk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sure did. Finishing my A.A.S. at a Community College, then transferring in the Spring.
  • plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Back in action, Sept. 1st .
  • EDD264EDD264 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are the chances of me getting accepted?

I have no certs or experience in IT.

I am completing my GE this fall, Taking STATS.

I notice WGU may need for students to complete both STATS and College Algebra, is that true? Because CAL States here in california require either one to transfer.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EDD264 wrote: »
    What are the chances of me getting accepted?

I have no certs or experience in IT.

I am completing my GE this fall, Taking STATS.

I notice WGU may need for students to complete both STATS and College Algebra, is that true? Because CAL States here in california require either one to transfer.

Hello,

I would say the chances are slim without either a cert or experience. You could get an entry level cert to help.

I can't speak to the other question, math was a bit different when I went.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    Hello,

I would say the chances are slim without either a cert or experience. You could get an entry level cert to help.

I can't speak to the other question, math was a bit different when I went.
    Whats an easy cert I can begin with, to increase my chances?
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□

Probably one of the CompTIA certs such as A+, Net+ or Security+. An enrollment counselor would be able to help answer that better but once you contact them you get on the call list... :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195

Network+. One test and not that difficult.
  • voipwizvoipwiz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Team

I am seeking some help/advise from forum members.

Recently I enrolled myself at WGU for June 2016 session in BS Computer Science (Network Administration) program,I have my (B.Com- Overseas) graduation and lots of Cisco Certification including CCIEx2 ,on the basis of those certification I was only eligible for 11 credits out of 128 and also I have my 3 years of Post Graduate diploma in Computer Science and Business Administration from Canadian College which is equal to 2 years of Associate degree program, due to my busy job schedule and frequent travelling for projects I was unable to submit my degree during my admission process

So now I have submitted my degree to my student mentor, so wondering will i get credits for my degree.

I want to finished this program in a year , Any advise and suggestion is highly appreciated

Regards,

F
  • MagniciousMagnicious Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After a long, hard, and treacherous road I finished the Master's in Cybersecurity Information and Assurance! My capstone was accepted and passed today. All that's left is the defense. I finished in two terms. It's a challenging and rewarding program I think.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Magnicious wrote: »
    After a long, hard, and treacherous road I finished the Master's in Cybersecurity Information and Assurance! My capstone was accepted and passed today. All that's left is the defense. I finished in two terms. It's a challenging and rewarding program I think.

congratulations on your achievement magnicious
    I hope to join you soon, I start the MBA:ITM program at WGU in December
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
    I plan to enroll soon, is it possible that my BUS pre- calculus class cover college algebra? Or would I have to take that also?

Keep in mind I completed intermediate Algebra already.

And hows the intro to physics class here?
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Magnicious wrote: »

very cool, congratulations.

I have a question for anyone that's rolled into the masters program from time remaining in a term after finishing your bachelors. I didn't realize that they only allow you to take 2 courses towards the masters and it's dampened my enthusiasm quite a bit. Question is, do they still load all the classes into your program before you officially start and you just can't 'add' them but can access them? Or do they only load one class at a time?
  • ChristopherPaulChristopherPaul Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to let everyone know, my Mentor said that they no longer offer certs as part of IT programs because some people had trouble passing the exams at the end, and they didn't need the certs. They are also not accepting any for credit according to my mentor.

I am currently entering the Business - IT Management program Thursday, 9/1. I have a long ways to go but hope to enter a managerial type of position of Director of Technology type of position. I have experience in those area and plan to also get some entry level certs so I understand what's going on. I think it will be beneficial to what path I chose.
  • plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think your mentor is mistaking the IT Management programs for all IT programs . The MS:CIA, BS:IT-Network Administration , BS:IT-Security, BS: Data Management/ Data analytics, BS:IT-Software Development and BS: Health Informatics are all multiple certification courses. Other than the cost of dropping that many courses and creating new ones they would also lose CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco and EC-Council's partnership and support along with a ton of students signing up to get the combined certs and degree.
  • fredfarmerfredfarmer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the long post, just want to give enough info for any advice...

I contacted WGU for the BS in Network Administration a while back. I already have an MCSA so they sent me a transcript that gives me credit for it. I then asked them this question...

"If I go out and get the A+, N+, S+, Linux and Project +, then enroll here, will you give me credit for those?"

The answer was no. Anyone here know why or if that was the correct answer?

Also, assuming that I have all of those certs before I enroll, will that take care of all of the technical classes and all I'd need to do are the "general study" classes?

Background - I have about 16 years in the IT field and started at the bottom. I have worked my way up to Infrastructure Manager and it will not take me long to pass all of those cert classes. I took the A+ with no studying and easily passed it. I'll need to do a little studying before sitting for the others, but it'll be cheaper and easier for me to do this rather than going through WGU's course work on them.

One more thing...
    I'm in a position in which my employer will pay for my degree 100%. That was not the case when I first looked into WGU. Given that info, anyone think I should consider a different school? I have nothing but a high school diploma at the moment.
    Does your employer pay for certs too? If they don't, you might as well go through WGU and end up with the certs paid for by your employer. And WGU gave me credit for certifications just 2 months ago, but I don't know if that policy changed. As long as the cert was earned prior to enrollment, it should transfer in.
  • fredfarmerfredfarmer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, my employer pays for certs. They paid for the A+
  • zabe1zabe1 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey guys, quick question. What type of resources does WGU give you? I know they give an ebook for the course, but do they give a testout account or a lynda account or udemy account for network admin route? or is it just text material and no video material? I understand they give 2 vouchers.

I asked my enrollment counselor about what were the resources I get, and he was pretty much clueless about it and said well its on the portal, but I do not want to sign up yet until i have a few certs under my belt so I dont have to take some classes.

I just need to know what resources you get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Junior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess i should put my comment in here.
    1. My friend started WGU on September 1st, 2016. He says it is good so far. 11 days to finish one of the General Education classes putting in 3-4 hours of study time every other day.
    2. I am currently on my enrollment process, will begin November 1st, 2016. I did transferred in with 2 Associates and 1 certificate (Associates of Applied Science in Information Systems & Technology, Associates of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems-Computer Programming, Certificate-Computer Programming). I only need 16 classes to graduate with my B.S. in IT.
    3. WGU is taking certificates already done within the last 5 years to give credit for. So no misleading information out there.
    4. Only problem i can see with WGU is getting a hold of the enrollment counselor as they take off weird days and their schedule is a little off.
    5. I can't wait to start as i plan to finish my B.S. in IT in 18 months tops (About 5-6 classes every 6 months which is plenty enough)
    6. I do have programming backgrounds as i am currently a Web Developer and did code Apps for Apple Ecosystem-iOS (No longer in app store as i pulled them.They were for fun).
    7. On paper i have 1 year programming background but i have been working on computers since i was 16-17- i am now 24.
    8. Hopefully after i graduate i will move to Berlin, Germany to work for a start up company as living there is cheaper and more well off. If anyone wants information about living in Berlin, Germany let me know because my girlfriend lived there for quite a while even though she is Russian.

Thanks for letting me put my input on here. Feel free to message me about any questions as i am about to start WGU and possibly move to Germany once i get a job offer.