Aligning certs with work can be challenging

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Working through some material that is mission critical for the certification exam that I am taking however, other exams that I will be taking in the future align with what I am currently doing now.

How do you manage that? Do you switch over to the new certification that aligns with your day to day? I feel like I am losing some valuable time by not switching, but then again I've been at this one for a while now.

I'm referring to the MCSA/MCSE, some of the later exams tie directly with my work load, the others, not really at all.

Comments

• GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to guess you mean the SQL 2016 changes given your username. :)

You're the only one that can answer if switching to the latest cert is worth it. I would advise that if you feel the changes in the latter cert are more aligned to your goals and work, then go for it. The time you have invested wouldn't be wasted though...principles from prior products (and studies) will apply in the future. I have my MCSE-SI (2012) and a lot of the core concepts are the same as they were back in Server 2003.

If you're close enough to getting cert'd on 2014, then you'd only need to take the upgrade exam for 2016, then you could have both.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Yep, that happens, I was once sponsored to take a course the company thought they wanted. I took the course (5 grand), wrote the test, passed & they never enabled the platform. Total waste.

It was a reminder for me. Set your certification goals & go. Let your work align around that. It's your career & nobody elses.