Options

Fellow of Information Privacy

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
Greetings and salutations. I'm not sure if you folks had seen, but there is another designation on the IAPP site - Fellow of Information Privacy

https://iapp.org/certify/fip/

The requirements are that you need a CIPP, either a CIPT or CIPM, and three years of privacy experience, though a ISACA or ISC2 cert would count for a year.

The cost is FREE! As in beer. You just have to fill out the application. You'll need three referrals and a personal statement.

Applications are reviewed by the Certification Department for satisfaction of the program requirements and applicants will be notified of the results within four weeks.
In addition to receiving a digital FIP designation badge that can be highlighted and shared on LinkedIn and other social media sites, successful candidates will also be profiled in our IAPP FIP online directory.
Each new class of fellows will be announced biannually in conjunction with an IAPP conference.

Plus there are no CPEs! Just have to maintain your other IAPP designations.

I do like the experience part of this compared to the CIPP/CIPT/CIPM, but overall it's not bad. More of a recognition thing than anything. I'll let you know how long it takes.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice! I've been mauling over taking the CIPP and CIPT for awhile now. Definitely a well respected set of certifications, but I think I am going to wait till I take (if possible) the Cybersecurity and Privacy Regulation (law class) as I think that would put me in an excellent position for the CIPP.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    After submitting my application, it says that they will contact me in 4 weeks, so there is some time for their certification department to process the material (plus follow up on references, etc).
  • Options
    infoseclawyerinfoseclawyer Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi GoodBishop, I was curious if you are going to be putting FIP, CIPP, CIPT (or whatever) or will you just have FIP? I'm not sold on the idea of this new certification since the certifications are niche in the first place. Curious as to your thoughts...
  • Options
    Meh, I'm not sure. I put the big certs up high on my LinkedIn/resume, like CISSP/ISACAx4, and I think I would put this up fairly high as well.

Edit: I mostly got it because a) it's free; b) it might help me with any privacy/governance/security writing or speaking opportunities in the future; c) privacy people might know about it; d) it's free; e) it shows 3 years of experience in privacy, compared to the 1 year for the others; and f) it's free.
  • Options
    Just received notification that I got the certification! Time to party!
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How long did it actually take?  (If I am resurrecting something super dead... I don't see post dates anymore in the new format).
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog