Need help understanding what I need to do here in this basic setup

redgunnerredgunner Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

As you can see I have two subnets and I would like to create a static route, can somebody outline what is required for this? I can't get my head round this, I have seen people use serial connections but I need it connected via an ethernet.

Thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• redgunnerredgunner Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have created this network and I can ping between the two using a serial cable, but what do I need to do to make it connect with an ethernet using a static route?

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you have done with a serial cable. so just do it for ethernet
    a serial cable connects serial ports together.
    for an ethernet connection your going to have to connect ethernet ports together.
    and to connect ethernet ports on like equipment your going to need to use a crossover cable like in your first post.
    That would work in the real world. I don't know about packet tracer. you might need to put a switch between the routers.
    Thanks for your help guys...

I have managed to get it working after so much frustration!!

Can I ask a really silly question about using an Ethernet for my exit interfaces, do they have to be on the same subnet? What happens if they are not on the same subnet?
    Can I ask a really silly question about using an Ethernet for my exit interfaces, do they have to be on the same subnet?
    you do have several ethernet ports in that diagram. "they" is a really bad descriptor to use to point out which ones your talking about.

What happens if they are not on the same subnet?
    you have it setup in packet tracer. put them on different subnets. see what happens.
    put them back on the same subnet. see what happens.
    Don't know why that happens? keep studying for your ccna and you'll learn
    Yes duhh me lol :) im so happy im getting somewhere especially when you're not exposed to Cisco...
    Yes it is always nice to see things working and you understand why.
    Do a little reading. work with the topics you've read with packet tracer until you understand what is happening.
    Keep taking it a chunk at a time and you'll get your ccna for sure