Debating if I should continue studying SEC +, or learn something else..

kcos0320kcos0320 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for about 2 years for Comptia Sec + and I have failed the exam twice.
I keep on trying different ways to learn the material, but it does not want to click. (Professor Messer, Online Class, and a Live Class.)
First I thought reading a Darril Gibson's book, then I tried using quizlet and created my own studying page. I included terms, ports, on virtual flash cards, still did not click. Then I decided to create flash cards for all the terms for security +. I have been reviewing these cards for about 3 months and it still does not want to click. I am confused on what else I need to do? Do I stop or pursue another Cert like Linux/CCNA/CEH?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your call, I've done both. Kept at it and finally broke through and I've bailed after a couple of fails too. What are your goals? Personally to me Linux sounds like a good time, but I am geek and like operating systems.

You can only answer that question.....
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Linux/CCNA/CEH any of those 3 is even harder than Security+. Then again it dpends if you have more interest in the material under those certificates.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're in a place where there are a lot of DoD contracting jobs, I would probably keep at it until I passed.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Linux/CCNA/CEH any of those 3 is even harder than Security+. Then again it dpends if you have more interest in the material under those certificates.

^^ True.

Also, you might want to take a look at your study methods. Two years, multiple classes, etc, is a ton of prep for the sec+. You mentioned things not clicking, is that during the test or even during studying? Have you taken any practice tests, how do you do in those?
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If things aren't clicking, I suggest that you take a step back and study something else not related to security. It might give your brain a break and time to process the information so that when you come back to it, it'll make sense.

It took me a year to understand how to subnet. People here were trying to explain it to me and I didn't get it. I think I stopped trying to learn it for a while. After the break, I started to actually understand it and it got to the point where I could just do everything in my head for the CCNA.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Things aren't always black and white. Go with your gut, I like what jameslee said it makes a lot of sense.

Also keep in mind just because something is perceived "harder" than another to one person doesn't mean that is going to be the same to another.

Ultimately you'll have to make you own decision, you'll be better for it.
  • Attempted MustacheAttempted Mustache Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would focus on the practice tests to see what specific areas you're weak on. The ones that come with the Darrill Gibson book are pretty close to what you'll see on the actual test. See what you struggle with on the practice tests and try to pinpoint exactly which topics you don't absorb. I think CompTIA gives you a score sheet that says how you did on each topic, so look at your failed tests and see if these areas match up (I would think they would). Also look at how you did on the Network+. I don't think it's any easier than Security+ and there's a lot of overlap for the ports and security terminology.
  • AsherYoungAsherYoung Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man, Boost eLearning is actually offering a free course on CompTIA Sec+. Their students have a 98% success rate, I've had a lot of friends who have been very successful with this free course and the company as a whole! https://boostelearning.com/shop/comptia-security-plus-free/ press add to cart, and then enter the Coupon Code FREESECURITY. For sure give it a try and let me know how you like it. Offer is only valid until July 31st I hear! Good luck!
  • kcos0320kcos0320 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently live in San Diego, CA and there are lots of DoD jobs.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will look into the free course every little bit helps. I find Cyber Security fascinating. I also feel that an A+/Net+ is not enough to be competitive in the IT market. I feel by having more certs there are more opportunities and recruiters would be interested in you more.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kcos0320 wrote: »
    I currently live in San Diego, CA and there are lots of DoD jobs.

jamesleecoleman has some good advice about pursuing a different cert for a while and then coming back to the Security+ once you've been away from the content for a while.

Here's what I did to study:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/118997-passed-sec.html

I don't know if you take notes while you are reading books and watching videos, but you may want to. You may also want to go the paper and pen route while taking notes. I find taking notes forces me to slow down and this helps to reinforce what I read instead of just glossing over something. It also gives me a convenient way to study.

If the practice tests you take tell you the reason behind a correct or incorrect answer I would suggest taking the practice tests again and make a note of the auestions you aren't 100% of the correct answer or of why the correct answer is the correct answer. Then go back and read the explanations, research on the internet, ask questions in the Security+ forum, etc. This does take extra time, but it might help you discover where you are getting tripped up on.

I hate to see you keep burning money on certs, but I think since you're in an area with a lot of DoD it would be worth it. You might consider buying the Comptia bundle that includes a free retake and the Comptia certmaster.

Finally, there are some other certs that fulfill the 8750 requirements that you might try, but I think some of them might have some prerequisites to them.
    Danielm7 - it is the studying part. The practice exams I am still doing poorly and not passing it. Since I have been home due to surgery and I thought by going over flash cards would help, but its not. I go over flash cards and take a practice exam and fail it. I am lost I don't know if I should continue anymore, but I don't know what else I go do in IT. I like helping people and help them fix their computer issues.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any of the other exams you mentioned are going to be more difficult than the Security+ so if you haven't been able to pass that yet you should probably hold off on the others until you're able to pass it. What practice tests are you using? Transcender makes some excellent practice tests and although they're a bit expensive, they're totally worth it in my opinion. How many hours a day/week are you studying? Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with it but don't give up! Good luck!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"